New Details In Fatal Hazing On NIU Campus
Featured & Trending:
Latest News Headlines:
Get Breaking News First
CHICAGO (CBS) — It was a year ago today when a college student from Palatine headed off to Northern Illinois University for his freshman year.
Within three months, he was dead.
WBBM’s Regine Schlesinger reports, his parents think their tragedy should serve as a warning to other families.
A lawsuit against the Pi Kappa Alpha house on the NIU campus alleges new details of what happened during an initiation in which David Bogenberger died last November.
The Bogenberger’s lawyer, Peter Coladarci, says David and other pledges were forced to go from room-to-room and drink at least three to five glasses of vodka in each of the seven rooms.
When they passed out, Coladarci says their unconscious bodies were placed in a way intended to keep them from choking on their vomit.
He says the frat leaders talked about calling for medical help but decided against it.
Coladarci thinks David’s life might have been saved if they had.
“Several of the officers checked on David while he was passed out and turned his head and made sure that his body was oriented in what they considered was a safe attitude,” he said.
A few hours later, David was dead.
His blood alcohol level: more than .35.
The lawsuit also alleges that a fraternity officer sent a text message, directing members to delete photos and videos of the unconscious pledges.
Coladarci says David’s parents hope the case will warn other parents and students about such deadly dangers.