CBS 2 Chicago wbbm7801059 670 The Score

Local

6 Hurt In Fire At Burr Ridge Senior Facility

(File photo by Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)

(File photo by Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

(STMW) — Six people were hospitalized for smoke inhalation after a microwave caught fire at a senior living facility in west suburban Burr Ridge Monday night.

The fire at Emeritus at Burr Ridge started about 4:20 p.m. in a resident’s room, Tri-State Fire Protection District Dept. Chief Jack Mancione said.

The fire apparently started when a resident put a piece of clothing in a microwave, said an employee of the facility, who declined to give her name.

Six residents and employees were taken to area hospitals with smoke-related injuries, but none were in serious condition, Mancione said.

A sprinkler in the room prevented the fire from spreading beyond the unit, but did cause some water damage to the building, Mancione said.

The facility, at 6801 High Grove Blvd. in Burr Ridge, is a retirement home and assisted living community for senior citizens, according to its website.

An estimate of the damage was not available late Monday.

(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2013. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)