Some Waukegan Schools Placed On Lockdown During Police Standoff
Lastest News Headlines:
Get Breaking News First
CHICAGO (CBS) — Schools were placed on lock down in Waukegan on Friday afternoon after police received reports of a possibly armed man who had barricaded himself inside a home.
Police responded to the home in the 300 block of George Avenue. SWAT officers surrounded the residence during an hours-long standoff that ended late Friday.
The same home was the scene of a shooting that police investigated last week, he said. DeBaufer identified the suspect as Donald Palmer.
Nearby schools were placed on lockdown “for safety reasons,” said Sgt. Dave DeBaufer.
Police went to the Palmer’s house after getting a 9-1-1 hang up from there.
Neighbors say Palmer and a woman who lives there fight often, and they saw him chase her and then pin her to the ground but she got away and drove off.
Police did not say which schools were placed on lockdown. However, Carman-Buckner Elementary School, 520 Helmholz Street, and St. Martin De Porres High School, 515 S Utica St., are located a few blocks from the scene.
Calls to those two schools were not immediately answered.
WBBM Newsradio’s Veronica Carter reports, Andrew Cooke Magnet School, 522 Belvidere Road, was put on lock down.
At that school, students who ride the bus were loaded up and sent on their way when the bell rang at 2:18, but students who would normally walk home were being held on campus until parents can pick them up.