Updated 09/23/13 – 4:30 p.m.
CHICAGO (CBS) — Police Supt. Garry McCarthy on Monday denied news reports police had arrested two men in connection with a gang-related mass shooting in the Back of the Yards neighborhood last week, but insisted he’s confident the case would be closed “very quickly.”
The Chicago Tribune reported Monday morning that police had arrested two people in connection with the Thursday night shooting of 13 people at Cornell Square Park, but McCarthy said that is not the case.
Sources told CBS 2 that police were questioning two people and that both were members of the same gang. Nobody has been charged, but sources expect that charges could come soon.
Those sources said they believe the two people being questioned were behind the attack on a rival gang in the park Thursday night.
McCarthy said police have been questioning several people since Friday, but he denied any arrests have been made.
“When we’re ready to announce that we have somebody in custody, we’ll do that. We can jeopardize the entire investigation by prematurely putting out information,” he said after a police recruit graduation on Monday. “It’s not the case, we’re not going to comment on it. The investigation is ongoing, and proceeding.”