Elementary School Emptied After Gas Odor Detected
(CBS) – A strong odor of natural gas inside a Northwest Side elementary school prompted the building’s evacuation.
It happened not once, not twice but three times this week alone, CBS 2’s Suzanne Le Mignot reports.
Some parents of children attending Marvin Camras Elementary school say they are outraged about the situation.
“I have two of my children here and this is supposed to be a safe place,” Sainy Galindo says.
Those picking up their children Friday afternoon were given a letter. It said at 11:20 a.m., children were evacuated after a staff member smelled gas fumes.
Peoples Gas crews were parked outside the school when classes ended. While no gas was detected, the utility did change the regulator on a pipe.
“I wasn’t aware of anything. It looked normal. I came to pick up my son like nothing. I didn’t even know anything was going on until the next day when I received the letter,” parent Vanessa Elias says.
CPS issued a statement that said, in part: “This week, Marvin Camras Elementary School experienced three natural gas incidents. During each, Peoples Gas was immediately notified and conducted a thorough inspection of the building. As a precaution, students were evacuated.”