Dr. Pepper BBQ Pulled Pork
By Jodie Keating from Carol Stream, IL
2 1/2-3 lb pork butt (also known as a pork shoulder)
24 oz. (2 cans) Dr. Pepper (or Diet Dr Pepper)
1 medium onion, cut in quarters and then again in half
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons dry ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt and black pepper to taste
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
Sweet Baby Ray’s Barbecue Sauce (it’s the BEST)
Fresh Turano Rolls
1. Place the chopped onions in the bottom of the slow cooker.
2. Place the pork butt on top of the onions and add the garlic, ground mustard, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, apple cider vinegar and Worcestershire sauce.
3. Pour the Dr. Pepper on top and cook on high for 4-5 hours (or on low for 8 hours).
4. Very carefully, because the pork will be hot, remove the meat from the slow cooker and place on a large cutting board.
5. Using two forks, shred the pork ~ the meat should be very tender.
6. Place the shredded pork back into the slow cooker and continue to cook for an additional hour.
7. Drain the remaining juices and toss the meat and onion mixture in the barbecue sauce. I don’t have an exact amount listed – just add