Seventh Man Charged In Cornell Square Park Shootings
CHICAGO (STMW) — A seventh man charged in connection with a September shooting that wounded 13 people, including a 3-year-old boy, in a Back of the Yards neighborhood park was denied bond Wednesday.
Quinton M. Humphries, 20, was charged with three counts of attempted murder and three counts of aggravated battery/discharge of a firearm, all felonies, according to police.
Six others have previously been charged in connection with the mass shooting at Cornell Square Park near 51st and Wood, which occurred about 10:15 p.m. — 45 minutes before the park’s 11 p.m. closing — on Sept. 19.
Police said only that Humphries “participated in the shooting,” but did not specify his actions.
Darren Curtis, 28; Tabari Young and Brad Jett, both 22; Bryon “Lord” Champ, 21; and Kewane Gatewood, 20, each face three counts of attempted murder and three counts of aggravated battery with a firearm. David Logan, 22, was charged with unlawful use of a weapon without an FOID card and obstructing justice.Humphries was ordered held without bond Wednesday by Judge Israel A. Desierto. The first six suspects were also ordered held without bond.
Prosecutors said Champ and Young used an AK-47 and a .22-caliber revolver to fire into the crowd at Cornell Square Park, while Curtis was their driver that night.
The shooting allegedly was revenge for a minor graze wound Champ suffered several hours earlier in the 5200 block of South Paulina after a quarrel with gang rivals, prosecutors said.
Police have said some of the victims in the park were members of the Gangster Disciples and the shooters were suspected of being affiliated with the Black P Stones.
Humphries is next expected to appear in court Nov. 20 at in Branch 48 at 155 W. 51st St.
(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2013. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)