CBS 2 Chicago wbbm7801059 670 The Score

Local

Two Hurt, One Critically, In Highland Park Fire

(Credit: Thinkstock)

(Credit: Thinkstock)

Don't Miss This

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

HIGHLAND PARK, Ill. (STMW) – Two men — including one rescued unconscious from a smoke-filled basement — were hurt in a house fire early Saturday in north suburban Highland Park.

Firefighters first responded to the fire in the 500 block of Glenview Avenue at 4:25 a.m., and found all but one resident outside, the city of Highland Park said in a release.

Using thermal imaging tools, crews found the last person unconscious in the smoke-filled basement, where the fire had started, the release said.

“The firefighters did a great job. They found this individual with a thermal imaging camera right away when they went into the basement, ” Fire Chief Patrick Tanner said.

The man in his 30s who was found in the basement suffered inhalation burns, Tanner said. A 24-year-old man who had escaped from the home also suffered from smoke inhalation, and had third degree burns to the upper body.

Both men were taken to Highland Park Hospital in Highland Park and later transferred to Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood, Tanner said.

The man found in the basement remains in critical condition Monday, while the 24-year-old has been treated and released, Tanner said.

The fire was contained to the basement, but left the house uninhabitable, the release said.

Officials believe the misuse of a space heater started the fire, and urge residents to be careful when using such appliances.

Space heaters must be kept at least 12 inches away from beds or blankets, and consumers should look for models that turn off when they tip over, Tanner said.

(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2013. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)