Man Gets 20 Years For Kidnapping Ex-Girlfriend And Her Daughters
CHICAGO (STMW) – A Chicago man convicted of assaulting his ex-girlfriend and holding her against her will at his home while their two children were present was sentenced to 20 years in prison Thursday.
James Martin, 43, was previously convicted of multiple felonies, including aggravated kidnapping, kidnapping, aggravated domestic battery, aggravated battery, domestic battery and unlawful restraint, according to a statement from the Cook County State’s Attorney’s office.
On Sept. 3, 2012, Martin’s ex-girlfriend took her daughters to visit him at his Chicago home, where Martin questioned where the girls got new bicycles, according to prosecutors.
When Martin learned the woman had a new boyfriend, he began striking her in the face, prosecutors said. He then instructed his uncle, who was there at the time, to take the children in the house.
When his ex-girlfriend tried to flee, Martin grabbed her from behind, carried her into the house, and trapped her in a back bedroom for about 30 minutes while he interacted with his daughters, according to prosecutors.
He then forced the woman and children to walk to a nearby park, where he continued to threaten her, but eventually called a friend to drive them all back to the ex-girlfriends house, where he stayed overnight, prosecutors said.
The woman was treated for a concussion and a ruptured ear drum at a hospital the next day, prosecutors said.
When Martin came back to the ex-girlfriend’s house on Sept. 11, 2012, she called police and Martin was arrested, prosecutors said.
Cook County Judge Evelyn Clay sentenced Martin to a 20-year prison term Thursday.
(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2014. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)