Watch: A Highlight Reel Tribute To Devin Hester
Bears CentralShop for Bears Gear NFL Scoreboard
Sports Fan Insider
(CBS) Finances and circumstances mean Devin Hester will be moving on from Chicago, but he’ll forever be a Bear. He brought excitement like few in franchise — and perhaps NFL — history did, and for that Bears fans will forever be indebted.
In light of the news that Hester will hit the open market and sign elsewhere, here’s a look at some of his greatest clips and numbers.
– In 2006, Hester capped a furious Bears rally against the Cardinals in a Monday Night Football game with long punt return that gave Chicago a late lead. The victory was sealed when Neil Rackers missed a late field goal.
– And of course, no one will forget when Hester took the opening kickoff of that year’s Super Bowl against the Colts to the house for an early Bears lead.
– Perhaps Hester’s most unique return came off a field goal miss against the Giants in December 2011. When the attempt came up short, and sped 108 yards in the other direction for a score, leaving the Giants shellshocked. It’s the third-longest play in NFL history.
– If you’re looking for a longer, all-encompassing highlight reel, carve out 12 minutes and check out these below.
By the numbers
Hester holds the following NFL records:
– 19 career return touchdowns (tied with Deion Sanders)
– 18 career kickoff/punt return touchdowns
– 13 career punt return touchdowns
– 2 kickoff return touchdowns in single game (tied)
– 6 single-season kick return touchdowns
In addition to those, Hester also had a slew of Bears franchise records, including punt return yards, single-season punt return average and kick return yards.