Watch: A Highlight Reel Tribute To Devin Hester
(CBS) Finances and circumstances mean Devin Hester will be moving on from Chicago, but he’ll forever be a Bear. He brought excitement like few in franchise — and perhaps NFL — history did, and for that Bears fans will forever be indebted.
In light of the news that Hester will hit the open market and sign elsewhere, here’s a look at some of his greatest clips and numbers.
– In 2006, Hester capped a furious Bears rally against the Cardinals in a Monday Night Football game with long punt return that gave Chicago a late lead. The victory was sealed when Neil Rackers missed a late field goal.
– And of course, no one will forget when Hester took the opening kickoff of that year’s Super Bowl against the Colts to the house for an early Bears lead.
– Perhaps Hester’s most unique return came off a field goal miss against the Giants in December 2011. When the attempt came up short, and sped 108 yards in the other direction for a score, leaving the Giants shellshocked. It’s the third-longest play in NFL history.
– If you’re looking for a longer, all-encompassing highlight reel, carve out 12 minutes and check out these below.
By the numbers
Hester holds the following NFL records:
– 19 career return touchdowns (tied with Deion Sanders)
– 18 career kickoff/punt return touchdowns
– 13 career punt return touchdowns
– 2 kickoff return touchdowns in single game (tied)
– 6 single-season kick return touchdowns
In addition to those, Hester also had a slew of Bears franchise records, including punt return yards, single-season punt return average and kick return yards.