Vandals Hitting Parking Pay Boxes On North Side: Police
(STMW) – Could it be frustration over the parking situation, or simply a case of vandalism? Either way, Chicago Police are searching for whoever is damaging parking pay stations owned by Laz Parking.
The suspects struck at least 13 of the boxes over a two-day period on the North Side, police said. They usually did their damage in the afternoon or early morning.
The vandals break the display glass, credit card readers and display brackets of the meters with a “blunt instrument or tool,” leaving the machines inoperable, according to the alert issued Wednesday by Area North detectives.
The incidents occurred in the:
- 900 block of West Chicago on March 12;
- 900 block of West Ogden Ave on March 12;
- 3700 block of North Racine on March 12;
- 700 block of West Buckingham on March 12;
- 4500 block of North Clark on March 12;
- 4800 block of North Clark on March 12;
- 1600 block of West North on March 12;
- 1400 block of West Summerdale on March 12;
- 5700 block of North Broadway on March 13;
- 1600 block of West North on March 13;
- 1100 block of West Rosemont on March 13;.
- 1100 block of West Waveland on March 13; and
- 1600 block of North Wood on March 14.
Anyone who witnesses someone damaging a pay station should call 911 or detectives at (312) 744-8263, and provide a detailed description of the suspect, including vehicle or license plate information.
(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2014. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)