Trial Delayed For Former North Chicago Police Chief
WAUKEGAN, Ill. (STMW) – Officials hope the theft of government funds case against former North Chicago Police Chief Michael Newsome will be concluded this summer after the latest in a series of delays has resulted in a new trial date of June 6.
Newsome, who appeared in court Wednesday morning, had been scheduled for trial May 2. His attorney, Douglas Zeit, requested a delay in the trial due to a conflict with another trial he expects to be involved with in early May.
Assistant State’s Attorney Fred Day acknowledged that the case has been dragging out, but noted that a change in prosecutors, as well as a large amount of discovery materials to be reviewed, accounts for much of the timeline.
“It’s been longer than we would like,” Day said Wednesday. “We don’t want it to push on past summertime. I don’t think anyone wants that.”
Zeit said the possibility for a negotiated resolution to the case also exists.
“We’re trying to do something, but we don’t know yet,” he said.
Newsome is charged with with theft and misconduct after being accused of stealing more than $140,000 from the village’s drug asset forfeiture fund.
Newsome, 52, pleaded not guilty in February 2012 to theft of government property, official misconduct and misallocation of funds. He could face up to 30 years in prison on the most serious charge of theft of government property.
Prosecutors allege Newsome used the money for personal expenses including car payments, his children’s education and remodeling his home.
The money was discovered missing after Newsome resigned from the position.
Newsome was appointed to the position of police chief in North Chicago in 2005, after 14 years with the department, and resigned in 2012.
He has remained free since being charged after posting 10 percent of a $25,000 bond.
(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2014. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)