CBS 2 Chicago wbbm7801059 670 The Score

Local

Families Displaced After Grilling Accident Sparks Woodridge Fire

Suzanne Le Mignot Suzanne Le Mignot
Suzanne Le Mignot serves as CBS 2 Chicago’s general assignment...
Read More

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

(CBS) – A propane grill accident on a second-floor balcony Thursday is believed to have caused an apartment building fire in west suburban Woodridge, displacing 12 families, authorities said.

A resident at the three-story building, in the 7723 Woodward Ave., had a bowl of oil on top of the grill, Darien-Woodridge Fire Protection District Chief Dave Lambright tells CBS 2′s Suzanne Le Mignot.

“I don’t know if that was tipped over or knocked over, or fell over on accident,” said Lambright, who added strong winds fanned the flames.

No injuries were reported.Damage was estimated at $1.5 million, fire officials said.

The Red Cross was on the scene to help the displaced.