DES PLAINES, Ill. (STMW) — Three boys playing with fireworks caused up to $15,000 of damage to a northwest suburban Des Plaines middle school after the building caught fire Saturday afternoon.
Firefighters responded to the blaze about 4:20 p.m. at Algonquin Middle School, 767 E. Algonquin Rd., according to the Des Plaines Fire Department.
One 12-year-old boy and two 13-year-old boys were playing with fireworks, including roman candles, behind the school when the exterior wall of the building caught fire, officials said.
The building’s siding melted, and the area’s doorway and ceiling were damaged in the blaze, fire officials said. The fire caused between $12,000 and $15,000 in damages.
No one was injured and the school should be open Tuesday, after the Memorial Day holiday, fire officials said.
No citations were issued in connection with the fire as the boys were released to their parents and the case was referred to a juvenile officer for follow up, fire official said.
(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2014. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)