(CBS) Just seconds from clinching its advancement of of the World Cup’s “Group of Death,” Team USA had to settle for a 2-2 with Portugal on Sunday when Varela headed home a cross from Ronaldo in the fifth minute of extra time. The latest goal in a 90-minute match in World Cup history was certainly a blow to the Americans, but with four points in two matches, they remain in strong position to advance to the knockout stage.
In simple terms, here’s the advancement scenarios for Team USA when it plays Germany on Thursday:
1. Win against Germany
2. Tie Germany
3. Have Ghana-Portugal match end in a tie
4. Win tiebreaker with the Ghana-Portugal winner
The World Cup tiebreakers are as follows:
1. Goal difference in all group matches
2. Goals scored in all group matches
3. Points in matches between tied teams
4. Goal difference in matches between tied teams
5. Goals scored in matches between tied teams
6. Drawing of lots
Team USA and Germany currently each have four points, while Portugal and Ghana have one. Germany in plus-4 in goal differential, USA is plus-1, while Ghana is minus-1 and Portugal is minus-4.
In more detailed terms, here’s a spreadsheet of the exact scores of the two matches and the result of whether Team USA would move on, courtesy of Twitter user Andy Keller.
Andy Keller (@KellerAndy) June 23, 2014