At Least 14 Shot Across Chicago Since Thursday Afternoon
Featured & Trending:
Latest News Headlines:
Updated 07/04/14 – 11:02 a.m.
CHICAGO (CBS) – At least 14 people have been shot – two of them fatally – since the start of the holiday weekend Thursday afternoon.
The most recent fatal shooting was around 2:30 a.m., when two men were shot in the West Englewood neighborhood. The victims, ages 34 and 35, were standing outside near 63rd and Damen, when a vehicle pulled up and someone inside opened fire.
Corey Hudson, 34, was pronounced dead at the scene. The other man was taken to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County in critical condition.
Around 4:15 p.m. Thursday, two women were shot in the 3800 block of West Monroe Street in the East Garfield Park neighborhood, when a group of men drove past in a car and opened fire.
Shambreyh Barfield, 21, was shot in the head, and pronounced dead less than an hour later at Mount Sinai Hospital. Another woman was shot in the arm. Police said the women were not the intended victims.
The shootings so far this holiday weekend also included a police-involved shooting in Greater Grand Crossing. Police officers responding to a 911 call about a person with a gun near 74th and Princeton saw three men standing on the corner. When they approached to question the men, one of them fled the scene.
While police gave chase, the suspect fired a gun at an officer, who returned fire, shooting the man in the chest, police said. The suspect was arrested and taken to a hospital.
In other shootings since Thursday afternoon:
• A 13-year-old girl and a 14-year-old boy were wounded by gunfire around 3 p.m. Thursday near Metcalfe Park, in the 0-100 block of West Root Street. Both were taken to Comer Children’s Hospital in good condition.
• A man was shot in the abdomen, and suffered two graze wounds to the face in the 600 block of North Ridgeway Avenue around 9:45 p.m. Thursday. He was in critical condition at Mount Sinai Hospital.
• A 54-year-old man told police he was shot near the intersection of 74th and Winchester around 12:20 a.m. Friday. He was being treated at University of Chicago Medical Center.
• A 29-year-old man was shot in the calf around 2:30 a.m. Friday in the 3500 block of West Lake Street. He was treated at Stroger Hospital, and released later Friday morning.
• A man took himself to Saint Bernard Hospital around 2:50 a.m. Friday, with a gunshot wound to the leg. He told police he was shot around 3 p.m. Thursday in the 8600 block of South Racine Avenue.
• An 18-year-old woman was shot in the buttocks around 3:45 a.m. Friday in the 2400 block of South Homan Avenue.
• A 21-year-old man walked into Mercy Hospital at 5:18 a.m. Friday, with a gunshot wound to the thigh. He told police he had been shot near 47th and Ada streets.
• Relatives drove an 18-year-old man to University of Illinois Medical Center at about 5:15 a.m., after he was shot in the 4300 block of South Wood Street. He was transferred to Stroger Hospital, but likely would be released later Friday morning.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS Radio and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.)