View: Bears’ Initial Depth Chart
Bears CentralShop for Bears Gear NFL Scoreboard
Sports Fan Insider
(CBS) The Bears released their initial depth chart Sunday, albeit an unofficial still as the first preseason game awaits Friday against the Eagles at Soldier Field.
Here are a couple notable nuggets from the first depth chart, which you can also see below.
– In the race for the backup quarterback job, Jordan Palmer was listed No. 2, Jimmy Clausen was No. 3 and David Fales was No. 4. Some observers have thought offseason addition Clausen has performed best out of those three, but Palmer still has the inside track — on paper, at least.
– Shaun Draughn is listed as the No. 2 running back behind Matt Forte. Michael Ford is No. 3, followed by rookie Ka’Deem Carey.
– At middle linebacker, both D.J. Williams and Jon Bostic are listed as first-teamers. Williams has taken most of the reps with the first-team base defense in camp, while Bostic has gotten the majority of looks as the first-team nickel linebacker.
– Lance Briggs is locked in as the starting weak-side linebacker, while Shea McClellin has the No. 1 nod at strong-side linebacker with rookie Christian Jones listed No. 2 there.
– Ryan Mundy was listed as the starting strong safety, while rookie Brock Vereen is No. 1 at free safety. Danny McCray is the No. 2 strong safety, while M.D. Jennings is No. 2 at free safety. McCray received a lot of first-team reps late last week in practice, spurring talk that he may be a legitimate contender to start. All four figure to rotate greatly in Friday’s preseason opener. Veteran Adrian Wilson is listed No. 3 at strong safety, with the injured Chris Conte at No. 3 at free safety.
– Rookies Will Sutton and Ego Ferguson are the second-team defensive tackles behind Jeremiah Ratliff and Stephen Paea.
– Rookie Patrick O’Donnell and Tress Way are both listed as first-teamers. Many believe O’Donnell is the favorite to make the team after the Bears used their sixth-round pick on him. At long snapper, Brandon Hartson and Chad Rempel are both listed as starters too as the Bears search for a replacement after Patrick Mannelly retired.
Click below to see an enlarged image of the depth chart.