(STMW) — A joint investigation was announced Friday between city and state police to learn how a convicted felon and documented gang member involved in a fatal Humboldt Park shooting earlier this month got a permit to carry a concealed firearm.
About 11:30 p.m., officers saw Michael Aquero, 32, shooting at a vehicle near the intersection of Divison and Maplewood in the West Side Humboldt Park neighborhood, according to Chicago Police. Louis Rodriguez, 18, was driving around the block and “engaging a group of males” before he was shot and pronounced dead at the scene.
The officers intervened and at least one opened fire and hit Arquero, police said. He was taken to a hospital with injuries that weren’t considered life-threatening. The Independent Police Review Authority is investigating the use of force.
Arquero, of the 2900 block of North Fairfield, was charged with one felony count of unlawful use of a weapon by a felon, according to police. He was ordered held on $2 million bond.
Police learned that Arquero applied for and received a concealed carry permit for the gun he allegedly used in the shooting, according to a joint statement from Illinois State Police and Chicago Police (ISP).
Chicago Police and ISP learned Arquero had a second identity under the name Michael Trivasano, according to the statement. Under the Trivasano name, he was a documented gang member and had multiple convictions for gun charges.
Both police agencies have launched a joint criminal investigation into the the circumstances of how Arquero was able to obtain the permit, the statement said.
Police said the charges against Arquero for the Sept. 10 shooting are the fourth time he has been charged for gun offenses.
(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire copy; Chicago Sun-Times 2016. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)