James Beard Awards Ceremony Stays In Chicago For Another Five Years

CHICAGO (CBS) — Mayor Rahm Emanuel and James Beard Foundation President, Susan Ungaro announced Friday the extension of the James Beard Awards ceremony in Chicago.

Known as the “Oscars of the Food Industry,” the James Beard Awards cememony will take place in Chicago for another five more years, through 2021.

Chicago has hosted the awards ceremony since 2015; which marked the first time that the James Beard Foundation held its annual event outside of New York City, selecting Chicago as its first host city. Prior to 2015, New York hosted the event for 25 years.

The ceremony was previously scheduled to finish its three-year Chicago run in 2017. The foundation said chefs, media and the food community have been “exceedingly positive” about the Chicago move.

The event draws thousands of people to Chicago and is part of Mayor Emanuel’s efforts to draw more than 55 million visitors to Chicago annually by 2020.

Emanuel says the extension is a “testament to the city of Chicago’s reputation as a culinary capital and cultural destination.”

More From CBS Chicago

News Via Email
Podcast Network

Listen Live