CHICAGO (CBS) — Eight homes were evacuated Thursday morning in south suburban Monee, after a lightning strike ruptured a natural gas main.
According to the Monee Fire Protection District, lightning struck a house on the 25800 block of Sunrise Drive around 2 a.m.
The lightning discharged into the ground, rupturing a 2-inch gas main, causing a major leak.
No injuries were reported, but eight homes were evacuated, and the families were taken to the Monee Village Hall for shelter.
Nicor, ComEd, Monee firefighters, and Monee public works crews all were at the scene.
Homeowners would not be allowed to return to their homes until Nicor fixes the leak, and then checks the affected homes for residual gas.