CHICAGO (CBS) — A man was shot and killed early Monday at the Garfield station on the CTA Red Line.

Police said a 33-year-old man got into an argument with another man on the platform of the Garfield station around 2:30 a.m., and the two were asked to leave. After they got outside, the second man pulled out a gun and opened fire.

Witnesses said they heard five or six shots.

“I was at the Citgo, and I heard like five, six gunshots go off, and then two cars sped off, and there was a guy laying on the ground. I think they robbed him. They took his jewelry and money, and left him laying on the ground,” Toni Gatto said.

The victim was shot in the head and chest. Paramedics took him to Stroger Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

A flash message was sent out Monday morning to officers about the suspect.

“They apprehended him within two minutes of the incident roughly,” said Chief Melissa Staples. “They did a great job.”

Police said they do not know the motive, or whather the 33-year-old man being held knew the victim. But they promise more patrols to make riders feel safe.

“They’ve been doing what they can. I’m not gonna take anything away from them on what they’ve been doing. They only can do so much,” said Steve Porter, Red Line rider.

“There’s always a police presence here, just about, not at night but during the day when we are off it seems like it still doesn’t stop anything. I’m still worried,” said Kimberly Reed.

Some riders said Monday morning that it’s time for more safety measures on the Red Line, such as more guards and cameras.

“It’s a lot going on. They’re selling loose cigarettes. They’re selling drugs throughout the train as we’re riding, even standing outside here. It’s not too safe,” Roosevelt Smith said. “I thought about just catching the bus instead of the train this morning, I really did.”

The victim of the shooting has not yet been identified and will not be until relatives are found. CBS 2 is awaiting charges before releasing the identity of the suspect, who is in Chicago Police custody.

Red Line trains temporarily bypassed the Garfield station after the shooting, and buses provided shuttle service for customers. Normal service resumed by about 4:45 a.m.

Watch & Listen LIVE