CHICAGO (CBS) — Here are five things to know about James Hodgkinson, the man suspected of shooting a congressman and three others at a congressional baseball practice in Virginia.
1. Hodgkinson was killed, shot multiple times in the torso, during an exchange of gunfire at a baseball field in Alexandria, Va. Republican congressmen were practicing there for a charity baseball game. U.S. Rep. Jeff Duncan of South Carolina said he believes he had a short conversation with Hodgkinson before the shooting. Hodgkinson asked Duncan if Democrats or Republicans were practicing, and Duncan told him it was Republicans.
2. He is from Belleville, Illinois and owned his own home inspection company.
3. On social media, he was critical of President Trump and his political allies. In one post, he wrote: “Trump is a Traitor. Trump Has Destroyed Our Democracy. It’s Time to Destroy Trump & Co. Hodgkinson was a member of several anti Republican Facebook groups, including “Terminate the Republican Party” and “The Road To Hell Is Paved With Republicans.” The FBI said he has left Illinois for the D.C. area, apparently to protest Trump’s policies.
4. He also was a supporter of Bernie Sanders, “I want Bernie to win the White House,” according to one post. Another image states: “Democratic Socialism Explained In Three Words: We The People.”
5. Officials told CBS News that Hodgkinson was carrying an M-4 assault rifle and a handgun.