CHICAGO (CBS) — Firefighters and hazmat crews responded to a materials spill at a medical facility in Berywn, sending 15 people to the hospital.
It happened at Jencare in the 6300 block of South Cermak.
Crews say someone dropped phenol, a skin medication, on the floor of an exam room around 3 p.m. Tuesday.
Fumes were released into the air and 15 people were taken to area hospitals, after complaining of headaches and feeling light-headed.
“Caring for our patients and our staff is our number one priority, which is why we took the precautions of evacuating the facility, calling local authorities, and ensuring all who were present received appropriate medical examination,” JenCare Chicago Market President Frank Mancuso said. “We are continuing to work with local authorities, and we appreciate the city’s emergency responders’ assistance in ensuring our facility is safe. We are actively investigating what happened, and are doing everything we can to avoid this happening in the future.”
A JenCare spokesperson said all patients have been released from the hospital.