Looking to refresh your knowledge on what you learned in history class? Or maybe it’s time to give your kids a real life perspective on how large dinosaurs really were. Head on over to the Field Museum where you can view Sue who is 67 million years old and the largest and most complete T-Rex ever found. Or you can you learn about ancient Egyptians, natural disasters, fossils and the evolution of our planet Earth.
Best Of Chicago
Local’s Guide To The Field Museum
December 8, 2010 2:50 PM
1400 S. Lake Shore Dr.
Chicago, IL 60605
9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Last admission at 4 p.m.
Open every day except Dec 25.
Check the website for their extended hours and early closings on certain days.
The museum offers three different admission packages.
For Basic Admission:
Children (3-11): $10
Students (with ID): $12
Seniors (65+): $12
Chicago Resident Basic Admission:
Children (3-11): $8
Students (with ID): $10
Seniors (65+): $10
For all other admission packages please visit their ticket website.
Where to Stay
Palmer House Hilton
17 E. Monroe St.
Chicago, IL 60603
Stay at this world-class downtown hotel and opt for the Field Museum package and receive overnight accommodations and adult VIP tickets to the museum. The Palmer House is also in walking distance of many other famous Chicago locations like the Art Institute and Millennium Park.
Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel
1 West Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL 60601
Phone: 312-372-7200 or 800-468-3571
Stay at a great hotel along the Chicago River and choose the Field Museum Chicago All Access Package. You’ll receive overnight accommodations and two VIP All Access passes. If you’re looking for a good place to eat in the hotel try the Great Street Restaurant open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Best Western Grant Park Hotel
1100 S. Michigan Ave.
Chicago, IL 60605
Looking for a more family-friendly hotel downtown at a more reasonable rate? This may be one of your better bets. Located on South Michigan Avenue, the hotel is close to the museum and Grant Park.
Where to Grab a Snack
The Field Museum offers you two choices if you get hungry. You can either grab some fast food at McDonald’s or you can have more of a meal at Corner Bakery. They also offer picnic seating if you have brought your own snack and are just looking for a place to sit.
How to Get to Sue
From Lake Shore Drive, exit at 18th Street. Take Museum Campus Drive around Solider Field. There will be signs for visitor parking. Another option is to take McFetridge Drive from Lake Shore Drive and this will link you to the street meter parking by the Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium and the Alder Planetarium.
For more details on directions and where to park visit: http://www.fieldmuseum.org/plan_visit/get_here.htm
If you’re staying downtown, this is the best option to get to the museum and also the cheapest. The CTA #146 bus runs all year around and until 10:30 p.m. The bus runs along State Street downtown and North Michigan Avenue.
Or you can take the CTA Orange, Red or Green line trains and exit at the Roosevelt stop. From there, you can jump on the #146 bus on Roosevelt Road and continue on to the museum.
This option is only during the warmer months, but the Shoreline Water Taxi service operates between Navy Pier and the Museum Campus. This can be can be another reasonably priced and scenic option between May and September.
Rachel Azark is a writer and lives on Chicago’s northwest side. Read more of her work on her blog parksandpancakes.com.
- State Discontinues Healthcare Funding For Disabled Stroke VictimUnconscionable. That's what a doctor calls a state decision to cut care funding for a patient.311
- Teen Says He Got E. Coli From Burrito At Lombard RestaurantA local teen says he got sick because of a burrito he ate from a local restaurant that's now the focus of an e coli outbreak.158
- Natura Pet Issues New Dog And Cat Food RecallNebraska-based Natura Pet Products has announced a new voluntary recall of multiple brands of dry pet food and treats. The decision comes after a positive test for Salmonella on April 3.7491
- Bakery Blunder Makes ‘Cat Cake’ A Viral SensationOf all the cat memes on the Internet, this one takes the cake.900
- Search Dog Tracks Missing Student To LakefrontVolunteers, friends and family were out in force Tuesday morning, resuming the search for a missing University of Chicago student.586
- Initial Tests ID Glittery Substance Along BeachIndiana environmental officials were investigating whether a Porter County manufacturer was responsible for a slick of glittery material that kept many swimmers out of Porter Beach on Monday.1095
- Win $1,000 In Gas From Hyundai! June 17, 2013Enter to win $1,000 in free gas from Hyundai! What’s better than free gas? How about the 2013 Elantra Limited with an EPA-Estimated 38 MPG Highway! 28 City/38 Hwy. EPA Estimates. For comparison only. Actual mileage may vary.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!