McNeil’s candor, quick wit and unpredictable approach are his trademarks. Under Dan has consistently been among the highest-rated radio programs among adult men for several years.
“I’ve been in ‘training camp’ for this for more than four months,” said McNeil. “It’s time to let the tigers out. This is a chance to win in a brand new daypart for me and in a slot that has become more meaningful. We’ve got a great crew.”
“It’s awesome to have Mac back on the Score team,” said Mitch Rosen, WSCR-AM Program Director. “Mac returns to where it all began for sports radio in Chicago – the Score. With the addition of Mac, the line-up now becomes a Chicago radio All-Star dream team along with Mully, Hanley, Boers, and Bernstein.”
McNeil, 45, was an original cast member of “The Score,” for which he served as an afternoon host until his resignation in October of 2000. During Danny Mac’s nine-year run, he developed a reputation as a well connected, college and pro football addict whose feel for radio production separated him from the pack.
“I’m lucky not because I’ve got a job every guy would want, but because I recognized I wanted it around seven or eight,” McNeil says. “I was a decent amateur athlete, but I knew I wanted to be Oscar Madison when I grew up. I was writing for my high school newspaper one month into my freshman year and I was the nerd doing play-by-play into a Ross portable cassette recorder while watching Blackhawks games on the tube. I got a jump on everybody years before sports radio was born.”
Following his college years at Ball State, McNeil interned at WGN Radio in the summer and fall of ’85 as a producer for “Sports Central” and for Chicago Bears pre-game, halftime and post-game shows. Mac then took a position as a staff writer/columnist for his hometown daily paper, The Times of Northwest Indiana.
In January of ’88, McNeil got his first big shot in Chicago when he was hired as executive producer of Chet Coppock’s weeknight sports show and the Chicago Bulls broadcasts on WLUP AM 1000. “Dangerous Dan” quickly developed his own following as a sidekick and fill-in host, as well as a contributor to the station’s popular Dahl and Meier show.
Dan has three sons and resides with his wife, Sheri, an insurance defense attorney, in Northwest Indiana. His fundraising endeavors include autism research and treatment, neuroblastoma research and the Highland High School athletic department.
Two weeks from today, the water cooler is going to be enormously popular in work places all over the Chicago area. That’s where Bears fans will convene to debate general manager Phil Emery’s second crack at the first round of the NFL draft.
Barring some miraculous turn of events this weekend, these are our final chances to reflect on the improbable 2012 White Sox.
Tim Tebow doesn’t make my list. His detractors, on the other hand, are contending for the medals stand in the Annoyance Olympics.
I have been amused by the optimism I’ve read and heard about the Bears lately. As we inch closer to the Bears’ next “biggest game of the year”
Finally an impressive showing by the Bears on Sunday night football… All of a sudden they sit 3-3 and are in the drivers seat for an NFC Wild Card berth; that is as long as [...]
Mac’s column from the Chicago Tribune today: If you’ve had it with the Bears and find yourself rooting for more disasters so a regime change will be made, you could be in for a sober [...]
With news of Theo Epstein coming to town we’ll be breaking down what it means for the Cubs both long and short term. Longtime friend of the show and Cubs TV-PBP voice Len Kasper is [...]
Panic in Chicago as the Bears fall to 2-3 on the season after a 24-13 loss in Detroit last night. Not a whole heckuva lot went right for the Bears despite the fact they were [...]
Welcome back to the South Side, Robin Ventura. Talk about a move that came out of nowhere, we’re going to be breaking down all the happenings with the White Sox new manager. Was it the [...]
As we’ve already turned the page on the win against Carolina we’ll look ahead to the Bears Monday night contest in Detroit coming up. Moon Mullin of CSNChicago.com joins the program at 10 and will [...]
Plenty on the plate for Wednesday as we’ll start things off with an in-studio guest, none other than Patrick Sharp of the Blackhawks who starts off the regular season Friday night in Dallas. Mike Florio [...]
Happy 23rd birthday, Derrick Rose! …and that concludes today’s basketball discussion on the McNeil and Spiegel Show. What was on in your house last night; Monday Night Football without Peyton Manning, baseball playoffs or were [...]
It wasn’t the prettiest of victories but Victory Church’s Chicken will be the show’s lunch today after the Bears improved to 2-2 after Sunday’s victory of Carolina. Plenty of Bears recap all day long with [...]
Doesn’t take long for Guillen to be irrelevant in Chicago In taking tired act to Miami, former Sox manager won’t be missed By: Dan McNeil Wearing a stylish pink button-down with white pinstripes, Ozzie Guillen beamed about [...]
What a night of baseball last night with some of the biggest collapses in the history of the game reaching a conclusion. We’ll discuss that out of the gate this morning as well as look [...]
Did Mark Buehrle pitch his final game in a White Sox uniform last night? Did you catch the latest 30 for 30, Catching Hell? Both topics of conversation this morning with Mac and Spiegs as [...]
The time has finally come, Chicago. After eight years of managing the Chicago White Sox Ozzie Guillen is no-more as he was let go last night. We’ll talk to Joe Cowley of the Sun-Times who [...]
Whew, another ugly performance from the beloved. We’re discussing Bears/Packers all day and all the things that went wrong. Former Bears quarterback and current CSN Chicago postgame commentator and Sirius radio talk show host Jim [...]
By Dan McNeil- The following is an excerpt from Dan McNeil’s weekly column that appears in the Chicago Tribune every Friday: Ted Phillips is extremely proud of the Bears‘ website. It gets more even traffic [...]
It’s a Bears vs. Packers Friday. Hub Arkush joins us at 10:00 to break down the game and the entire NFL card. Green Bay tackle Brian Bulaga also is due for a visit…plus “Who Do [...]
- Students Disciplined For ‘Sexting’ Incident At Evanston Township HighIn a letter to parents dated Thursday, District 202 Supt. Eric Witherspoon wrote that girls sent inappropriate photos to members of the varsity baseball team.265
- Cops Crack Down On Retailers Who Sell Stolen GoodsA new law in Illinois is allowing police and retailers to work together to crack down on organized retail theft. CBS 2's Mike Puccinelli reports.117
- Jury Sides With Donald Trump In Condo Dispute With Woman, 87A federal jury has sided with developer Donald Trump -- not the 87-year-old woman who says she was cheated financially after buying two condominiums at his Trump Tower project.1056
- VIDEO: Guard Allegedly Pushes Dunbar Student Down StairsAn employee at a public high school in the Bronzeville neighborhood has been taken off the job after being recorded on cell phone video pushing a girl down a set of stairs.408
- Concealed Carry Bill Moves To House Floor, But Senate ObjectsA concealed-carry gun deal brokered by House Speaker Michael Madigan cleared a House committee Thursday, but its prospects were unclear across the Capitol in the Senate because of the way it would curb existing local gun laws.165
- Four Hurt In Wrong-Way Crash On Chicago SkywayA 25-year-old man has been cited for driving the wrong way on the Chicago Skyway, after a head-on crash with a pickup truck Thursday morning that sent four people to hospitals.232
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- RT @Millennium_Park: Tomorrow morning see a LIVE preview of Dinosaur Petting Zoo on CBS 2 from Millennium Park @CBS2Chicago @VinceGerasole … 7 hours ago
- RT @ChicagoDCASE: Tomorrow morning see a LIVE preview of Dinosaur Petting Zoo on CBS 2 from Millennium Park @CBS2Chicago @VinceGerasole htt… 7 hours ago