McNeil’s candor, quick wit and unpredictable approach are his trademarks. Under Dan has consistently been among the highest-rated radio programs among adult men for several years.
“I’ve been in ‘training camp’ for this for more than four months,” said McNeil. “It’s time to let the tigers out. This is a chance to win in a brand new daypart for me and in a slot that has become more meaningful. We’ve got a great crew.”
“It’s awesome to have Mac back on the Score team,” said Mitch Rosen, WSCR-AM Program Director. “Mac returns to where it all began for sports radio in Chicago – the Score. With the addition of Mac, the line-up now becomes a Chicago radio All-Star dream team along with Mully, Hanley, Boers, and Bernstein.”
McNeil, 45, was an original cast member of “The Score,” for which he served as an afternoon host until his resignation in October of 2000. During Danny Mac’s nine-year run, he developed a reputation as a well connected, college and pro football addict whose feel for radio production separated him from the pack.
“I’m lucky not because I’ve got a job every guy would want, but because I recognized I wanted it around seven or eight,” McNeil says. “I was a decent amateur athlete, but I knew I wanted to be Oscar Madison when I grew up. I was writing for my high school newspaper one month into my freshman year and I was the nerd doing play-by-play into a Ross portable cassette recorder while watching Blackhawks games on the tube. I got a jump on everybody years before sports radio was born.”
Following his college years at Ball State, McNeil interned at WGN Radio in the summer and fall of ’85 as a producer for “Sports Central” and for Chicago Bears pre-game, halftime and post-game shows. Mac then took a position as a staff writer/columnist for his hometown daily paper, The Times of Northwest Indiana.
In January of ’88, McNeil got his first big shot in Chicago when he was hired as executive producer of Chet Coppock’s weeknight sports show and the Chicago Bulls broadcasts on WLUP AM 1000. “Dangerous Dan” quickly developed his own following as a sidekick and fill-in host, as well as a contributor to the station’s popular Dahl and Meier show.
Dan has three sons and resides with his wife, Sheri, an insurance defense attorney, in Northwest Indiana. His fundraising endeavors include autism research and treatment, neuroblastoma research and the Highland High School athletic department.
Plenty to get to on this crisp feeling Thursday morning as we’ll take a look at the Packers with their radio voice, Wayne Larrivee early on in the show. We’ll also hear from CSNChicago.com’s Moon [...]
Wednesday is upon us so we will “Turn the Page” on the Bears ugly performance against New Orleans and turn our focus to the matchup with the rival Packers this Sunday at Soldier Field. Mike [...]
Fallout from the Bears’ embarrassing loss to New Orleans continues today. Laurence Holmes checks in for his thoughts and we’ll whip it “Around The NFL” with stops in Carolina, Buffalo and Minnesota.
No Victory Chicken today. We’ll dissect the Bears’ loss to New Orleans with former Bears Jim Miller and Doug Buffone. Pro Football Weekly’s Hub Arkush checks in also for a recap of Week 2.
Finally a Friday! We’ll preview the Bears and Saints and all the NFL Week 2 action with Hub Arkush. Teddy Greenstein from the Tribune sits in with us a Cog Hill at the BMW Championship [...]
Plenty on the Bears and Saints this morning. John “Moon” Mullin from csnchicago.com and New Orleans radio analyst Hokie Gajan check in on Sunday’s game… plus Paul Charchian of FantasyVictory.com on fantasy football at the top of [...]
Wednesday during football season means its time to turn the page on the thrashing of Atlanta as we’ll start to get your ready for the Bears/Saints contest. Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk joins the [...]
We continue to talk about the Bears’ opening day victory over the Falcons, but we’ll whip it around the NFL this morning. Plenty of time to talk about Tom Brady’s big night in Miami and [...]
The Bears were impressive against Atlanta in Sunday’s opener. Hub Arkush, Jim Miller and Doug Buffone all check in on the 30-12 win over the Falcons.
There were lots of highlights in the Bears’ 10-3 win over Buffalo Saturday night at Soldier Field. Lawrence Holmes and Hub Arkush will weigh in on the Bears.
- Florida Man Pleads Guilty In Fatal Stabbing Of Bears FanA Florida man has pleaded guilty to fatally stabbing a Bears fan who traveled to Jacksonville to see the Bears take on the Jaguars in October.619
- Man Critically Hurt In Jump From 3rd Floor Of HospitalA man was critically injured after attempting to jump from the window of a hospital Tuesday in the South Side Englewood neighborhood.201
- History Of Tornadoes In Chicago AreaTwisters with that kind of force that flattened Moore, Okla., have hit the Chicago area in the past, and have been extremely deadly.593
- Local Storm Chaser Describes ‘Sickening, Deafening Roar’ Of Oklahoma TornadoA south suburban man whose hobby is chasing storms was in Moore, Okla., on Monday when a massive tornado devastated the town, killing at least 24 people.224
- High School Duo Has Never Missed A Day Of ClassThey say no one's perfect, but one school in the far southwestern suburbs has not just one, but two students who have achieved perfection in one area.136
- Deadly Oklahoma Tornado Serves As Reminder To Prepare For Disasters“Tornado sheltering basics involved three steps – get in, get down and cover-up. The overall goal is to avoid flying and falling debris by putting as many barriers between you and the tornado as possible,” according to one expert at the National Weather Service in Norman, Oklahoma.121
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!