If nothing else, Dave Wischnowsky is an Illinois boy. Raised in Bourbonnais, educated at the University of Illinois and bred on sports in the Land of Lincoln, he now resides on Chicago’s North Side, just blocks from Wrigley Field. Formerly a reporter and blogger for the Chicago Tribune, Dave currently writes a syndicated column, The Wisch List, which you can check out via his blog at wischlist.com. Follow him on Twitter at @wischlist.
It was a win that only the heaviest orange Kool-Aid drinker could have possibly seen coming, but it’s a victory that will forever be viewed by every Illini fan as among the greatest in school history.
A student group is again trying to replace banished school symbol Chief Illiniwek – and, this time, another group of students is trying to stop them.
It’s Super Bowl Monday, the day when no one in America really wants to be working, but pretty much all of us are.
So successful was this radio system for the Pirates of Ottawa Township High School that after four seasons they ended up getting the thing outlawed by the Illinois High School Association.
In 108 years of Big Ten basketball, the 1988-89 season still stands out as the conference’s gold standard.
When you really boil it down, the rooftops’ business model is no different than someone setting up lawn chairs behind a drive-in movie theater’s back fence and then inviting people to come over to eat, drink and watch the theater’s films.
By Dave Wischnowsky – (CBS) When it comes to Sammy Sosa’s future, AOL Fanhouse columnist Lisa Olson has a bold prediction. “Within a few years,” she wrote in a column published on Thursday, “the Cubs [...]
At least out on the football field, the hits stop when the whistle blows. But in the case of Manti Te’o, they just seem to keep piling up.
Over the next three weeks, Illinois faces five opponents with a combined record of 78-15. Four of them are currently ranked among the Top 15 teams in the country.
For Cubs fans, it’s time to convene. But for the Cubs? Well, apparently, it’s time to count beans.
Illinois has lost at home to Northwestern in back-to-back years and dropped four of the last six games overall vs. “that team upstate.”
From the get-go, the names fit like a small-sized helmet on an XL-sized head. Awkwardly. And now, it’s time for the Big Ten to send “Legends” and “Leaders” on their way. Mercifully.
The Fighting Illini are an imperfect basketball team.
But then there’s the University of Illinois, the sadsack program of the prairie whose last three head football coaches can now be found at Florida International University (Ron Turner), the University of Buffalo (Lou Tepper) and, well, the coaching unemployment line (Ron Zook).
Is Nick Saban worth a look?
Keep your wits about yourself, Illini Nation.
This week, Ditka’s comments about Smith’s firing got me curious about how “Da Coach” fared against winning teams during his coaching career with the Bears. Additionally, I wondered how the coaches in between Ditka and Lovie – Dave Wannstedt and Dick Jauron – held against top competition during their time in Chicago.
Kirk Herbstreit might want to shoo them out of South Beach, but the Northern Illinois Huskies will nevertheless be playing in a BCS game tonight when they butt helmets with Florida State during the 2013 Orange Bowl.
There are more than 20,000 seats inside the United Center.
When it comes to college football, the state of Illinois has an attendance deficit.
- Jail Inmate Charged With Previous Murder, Shooting In RobbinsA Cook County Jail inmate faces new charges in connection with a 2012 murder and a separate 2011 shooting in south suburban Robbins, the Cook County Sheriff’s office announced Saturday.60
- Teen Hurt In Little Village ShootingA 14-year-old boy was shot in the arm Saturday afternoon in the Southwest Side Little Village neighborhood.86
- Man Charged With Videotaping Women In Hospital WashroomA poorly secured cell phone in a west suburban hospital washroom that a man had allegedly set up to secretly videotape women in the toilet area was discovered by a woman when the phone fell to the washroom floor on Friday. She alerted police, who then arrested and charged a 49-year-old Franklin Park man with unlawful videotaping.156
- Young Man Shot Outside Old Orchard Shopping CenterA young man was wounded in a shooting in north suburban Skokie Friday night, outside the Old Orchard Shopping Center.227
- 3 Dead, 8 Shot In Citywide ViolenceThree men were killed and at least eight other people were wounded in violence around the city since Friday night.167
- Orange Line Service Resumes After Train-Pedestrian IncidentCTA commuters were temporarily stymied on the Orange Line during the Friday rush hour after a train fatally struck a man on the tracks.401
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- OREO Text-In Giveaway May 6, 2013The OREO King Size single serve packs are ideal for on the go snacking and sharing. To celebrate OREO King Size packs, text the keyword “OREO” to 67011 to enter for your chance to win a $250 Visa gift card!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!
- Rivers Casino’s Baseball Fever Giveaway May 1, 2013Get Baseball Fever at Rivers Casino Sundays & Tuesdays in May! You could win great prizes and up to $25,000. Plus print out the WILD CARD that can help you win even more!