George Ofman has been at this for 39 years. Starting at Southern Illinois University in 1974 through his years as a free lance reporter, anchor for several Chicago radio stations and host of a popular baseball show, George has had the pleasure of being part of some memorable sporting events.
He covered the Bulls during their 6 championship runs; was reporting in Houston where the White Sox won the World Series and Philadelphia where the Blackhawks captured the Stanley Cup. He also covered NCAA final fours, witnessed Pete Rose tie the major league hits record at Wrigley Field and saw Cigar win his record 16th straight race at Arlington Park.
George spent 17 years at WSCR “The Score” where was the station’s principle anchor when it premiered in 1992. He also spent three years on the baseball beat and co-hosted “Hit and Run”, the popular Sunday baseball he helped create.
George also spent some time at WMAQ all news and WGN Radio. As an accomplished journalist, George also wrote and produced hundreds of stories for National Public Radio, CBC Radio and the BBC.
George is the proud recipient of an A.I.R award for broadcast journalism and the Personality of the Year award from the Pitch and Hit Club. And he’s extremely proud to be a member of WBBM Newsradio 780, “The best news shop in the country.”
And George always reminds everyone he knows he’s the only person ever to see both the highest scoring game in NBA and NHL history. He’s still waiting for a call from the Guinness book of World Records.
Carlos Zambrano’s signed a minor league deal with the Phillies and the Liberty Bell just asked to be placed in the witness protection program. Speaking of witness protection, anyone seen Gabe Carimi lately?
The White Sox are becoming an afterthought.
The chants of “Corey, Corey” cascaded from every corner of the United Center. As focused as Corey Crawford was, it didn’t escape him that the crowd that used to get on him now loves him.
Like it or not, sabermetrics are here to stay and likely to be amended, and often. I would like to suggest the Hawk takes some time to understand it. Give it chance. Use it from time to time.
It’s a playoff game and I’m wondering how a team misses 25-of-26 shots and then I see Brooklyn scrawled on the jersey.
If pitching is the name of the game, Theo and the boys need to buy into it.
The strength of the Bears schedule is 16th. That translates into 8-8, right?
I love baseball. My affair with the game goes back over 50 years when I was child emulating longtime broadcaster Jack Brickhouse on the gravel field of Hibbard Elementary School in Albany Park.
A goat’s head? Seriously?
If you want to play alongside Daequan Cook, Malcolm Thomas, Vladimir Radmanovic and Marquis Teague, be my guest. Please contact your insurance agent first, or at least your brother Reggie.
By George Ofman- (CBS) I can’t believe it. Carlos Marmol got a save. Of course, several Cubs fans suffered heart attacks while others jumped out basement windows. So let’s set the numbers: two games, 1.1 [...]
Does anyone really think the Sox will be playing meaningful games in October and the Cubs, meaningful games in June?
Wow, would this be a mistake.
There’s a new wrinkle in the Cubs’ attempt to find new revenue at Wrigley, and it could change the look of the friendly confines forever, reports WBBM’s George Offman.
People who never saw a single minute of a single game fill out a bracket sheet even if they use darts, consult a tarot card reader or go with school colors.
Everyone is offering an opinion on Derrick Rose. It wouldn’t shock me if Jack Nicholson or the Dali Lama penned a thought on the Bulls fragile franchise star.
The old saying is “records are meant to be broken.” Some simply aren’t.
And I thought God was a Cubs fan.
Can the Bulls salvage a first-round playoff victory? Maybe. But it’s not about this year or next.
Slow down. Calm yourself. Take a pill or adopt a billy goat as a pet. But please, please stop thinking the Cubs will win 90 games. They won’t win 80 and might be lucky to get past 70.
- Three Teens Arrested After Large Fight On Lakefront On South SideThree teens were arrested on Sunday, after police broke up a large fight along the lakefront in the Jackson Park neighborhood.337
- Charred Body Found In Dumpster After Fire ExtinguishedAbout 11:05 p.m. firefighters were called to the 3100 block of North Kimball Avenue in the Avondale neighborhood after receiving a report of a dumpster blaze in a nearby alley.156
- 5 Dead, 18 Wounded In Weekend ViolenceFive people have been killed and at least 18 others wounded — including a 12-year-old boy left in critical condition — in shootings across the city since Friday night.7330
- Woman Disputes Story Of Chicago Cop Who Shot Her DogTensions are boiling over in the Norwood Park neighborhood on Chicago's Northwest Side where an off-duty Chicago police officer shot and killed a dog, reports WBBM's Nancy Harty.189
- 3 Critically Hurt In Kennedy CrashThree people were critically injured in a crash on the Kennedy Expressway on the Northwest Side Sunday morning.271
- Woman Found Dead At O’HareA woman was found dead near a bus stop at O’Hare International Airport Saturday, authorities said.308
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!
- Rivers Casino’s Baseball Fever Giveaway May 1, 2013Get Baseball Fever at Rivers Casino Sundays & Tuesdays in May! You could win great prizes and up to $25,000. Plus print out the WILD CARD that can help you win even more!
- Miller Lite ‘Take Me Out To The Ballpark’ Ticket Giveaway April 26, 2013Join The Score this summer at various locations throughout the Chicagoland area for your chance to win one of twenty pairs of tickets to a future White Sox game!