Jay Levine is the chief correspondent for CBS 2 Chicago.
He joined CBS 2 Chicago as weekend anchor and reporter in 1990 before being named chief correspondent in 1991. He later anchored the station’s early morning news with his wife, Mary Ann Childers, before returning to his role as chief correspondent.
In 1991, he became the first Chicago reporter to broadcast live from Saudi Arabia, the day before the Gulf War began. He was the only Chicago TV reporter in Saudi Arabia from the time the first shots were fired until after the cease-fire was signed. During that two-month period, Levine filed 260 live reports for CBS 2 Chicago and CBS stations around the country.
In 2003, he was the only Chicago television reporter embedded with U.S. troops during Operation Iraqi Freedom, covering the 101st Airborne, and its Chicago-area soldiers, from the deserts of Kuwait to Saddam’s palaces in Baghdad.
He has traveled the globe covering politics, international affairs and uncovering scandals. Levine’s reports range from interviewing the Pope, to dodging bullets in Beirut, to chasing drug runners in the Andes. In 1996, his coverage of Cardinal Bernardin’s death was widely acclaimed by both his peers and the public. He covered Hurricanes Katrina and Rita extensively and their aftermath along the Gulf Coast.
Levine’s awards include a National RTNDA Award and an Edward R. Murrow Regional Award for writing –”Farewell to the Pope.” His reports have helped CBS 2 Chicago win two national Emmy Awards: one in 2008 for the station’s coverage of the CTA Blue Line derailment and one in 2006 for coverage of the death of Pope John Paul II. Levine has also won 11 local Emmy Awards including a 2005 Emmy for Outstanding Coverage Within a Newscast –”Farewell to the Pope,” a Jacob Scher Award for Investigative Reporting, and numerous AP and UPI honors.
Prior to joining CBS 2 Chicago, Levine was a general assignment reporter for WLS-TV from 1974 to 1990. He also worked as a news reporter for WCAU-AM Radio, the CBS owned station in Philadelphia (1972-74). Levine began his journalism career as a news and sports anchor and reporter for WHCU-AM/FM Radio, the CBS affiliate in Ithaca, NY, while still in college.
Levine is involved in several organizations in Chicago, including Children’s Memorial Hospital, the Spinal Cord Injury Association, the Kidney Foundation, Rush-University Medical Center and the Latin School of Chicago.
Levine, an avid golfer, graduated from Cornell University with a degree in engineering.
(CBS) — He has been in office for just over 2 months, but already pope Francis has put his own personal stamp on the papacy. He has ignored many trappings and traditions while concentrating preaching [...]
School board members who will make the final decision were still out visiting schools on the Chicago Public School “hit list,” and not all are convinced that all of them should be closed.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel on Tuesday continued to duck reporters’ questions about the proposed sports and entertainment complex for McCormick Place.
The Mayor claims it’ll save taxpayers a billion dollars, but according to CBS 2 chief correspondent Jay Levine parts of the deal have some aldermen concerned.
U.S. Sen. Mark Kirk made a symbolic return to his former Congressional District on the North Shore on Friday, four months after returning to work in Congress.
CBS 2 Chief correspondent Jay Levine sat down with Superintendent McCarthy, and began by asking the simple question: Are we safe?
CBS 2 Chief Correspondent Jay Levine goes behind the scenes for a first-hand look at local SWAT teams in training.
Prosecutors and defense attorneys could tussle over the former congressman’s mental health. CBS 2 Chief Correspondent Jay Levine explains.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Police Supt. Garry McCarthy said Thursday that a recent move to step up foot patrols in some of the most violence-prone neighborhoods is paying off.
Former Mayor Richard M. Daley made an unusual and unusually generous gesture on Wednesday, donating more than half a million dollars from his former campaign fund to various Chicago charities and other organizations.
Day two of Texas Gov. Rick Perry’s job-poaching trip to Chicago took him to a huge trade show at McCormick Place on Tuesday. CBS 2 Chief Correspondent Jay Levine has learned which Chicago company he has in his sights: Performance Trust, a financial services firm based in the West Loop.
One of the key players in talks to renovate Wrigley Field is speaking out.
No face to face talks between City officials and the Cubs today. And still no deal on Wrigley renovations and Community development.
Rahm Emanuel’s older brother, Zeke, is revealing a side of the mayor most people have never seen before, in an illuminating new book about their family.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s brother, Zeke, offers a revealing portrait of Chicago’s top elected official in a new book he was signing in Winnetka Thursday.
The Chicago Cubs and their Wrigleyville neighbors appeared close to an agreement Tuesday to give Cubs owners the green light for their planned renovation of the team’s landmark stadium.
CBS 2 Chief Correspondent Jay Levine, working with the Better Government Association, reports how they get away with it and where to find them.
Cardinal Francis George spoke with CBS 2′s Chief Correspondent Jay Levine in his first public comments since the election of Pope Francis.
Chances for an American pope are greater than ever before, Francis Cardinal George tells CBS 2 Chief correspondent Jay Levine.
Formal charges against Jesse Jackson Jr. could be filed as soon as Friday and Tuesday at the latest. His plea has also implicated his wife, leading to tax fraud charges against her.
- State Discontinues Healthcare Funding For Disabled Stroke VictimUnconscionable. That's what a doctor calls a state decision to cut care funding for a patient.311
- Teen Says He Got E. Coli From Burrito At Lombard RestaurantA local teen says he got sick because of a burrito he ate from a local restaurant that's now the focus of an e coli outbreak.158
- Natura Pet Issues New Dog And Cat Food RecallNebraska-based Natura Pet Products has announced a new voluntary recall of multiple brands of dry pet food and treats. The decision comes after a positive test for Salmonella on April 3.7491
- Bakery Blunder Makes ‘Cat Cake’ A Viral SensationOf all the cat memes on the Internet, this one takes the cake.900
- Search Dog Tracks Missing Student To LakefrontVolunteers, friends and family were out in force Tuesday morning, resuming the search for a missing University of Chicago student.586
- Initial Tests ID Glittery Substance Along BeachIndiana environmental officials were investigating whether a Porter County manufacturer was responsible for a slick of glittery material that kept many swimmers out of Porter Beach on Monday.1095
- Win $1,000 In Gas From Hyundai! June 17, 2013Enter to win $1,000 in free gas from Hyundai! What’s better than free gas? How about the 2013 Elantra Limited with an EPA-Estimated 38 MPG Highway! 28 City/38 Hwy. EPA Estimates. For comparison only. Actual mileage may vary.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!