One of the most energetic and exciting voices of the National Football League, Jeff Joniak enters his 12th season behind the microphone as the play-by-play announcer of the Chicago Bears in 2012.
Joniak’s passion for the game and for the Bears is linked to a 26-year association with Chicago sports fans. Joniak has hosted the Chicago Bears game day broadcasts since 1997, serves as WBBM Newsradio 780 and 105.9 FM′s Director of Sports Operations while maintaining his afternoon drive-time sports anchor shifts.
Additionally, Joniak hosts “The Bears Insider” radio show on WBBM Newsradio 780 and 105.9FM with Bears head coach Lovie Smith each Monday night during the season. On game days, Joniak and Bears analyst Tom Thayer co-host Bears produced television shows, “Bears Game Day Live” and “Bears Game Night Live”. During the season, Joniak also writes a column for the Daily Herald, and pens his weekly “Keys to the Game” on ChicagoBears.com and CBSChicago.com.
Joniak and the Bears Radio staff earned the 2007 Peter Lisagor Award and the Associated Press Award for “Best Sports Reporting” for their coverage of Super Bowl XLI, the Silver Dome Award for “Best Play-by-Play” in 2006, and a 2007 regional RTNDA Edward R. Murrow Award for the Bears Radio pre-game feature “Joniak’s Journal” which focused on the difficulties experienced by Bears receiver Rashied Davis growing up in California during the “L.A. riots”.
Throughout the year, Joniak is asked to emcee many different events related to his work with the Bears including the National Football Foundation Scholarship Awards ceremony, the Ed Block Courage Award ceremony, the annual Bears Care Gala.
Before tackling Halas Hall, Joniak co-hosted the game day broadcasts for the Chicago Bulls during their championship years from 1991 to 1996. For the gripping coverage of the death of Walter Payton, Joniak and his staff won a prestigious Peter Lisagor Award. He also won two Lisagor awards for his coverage of the NFL Draft, AP awards for his sportscasts and Bears pre-game features.
Jeff’s first broadcasting job was at SportsPhone in Chicago, followed by stops at the Tribune Radio Network, Illinois News Network, CLTV, and Metro Networks where he started the sports department. It was at the old WMAQ Radio that Jeff became Sports Director, worked on the Bulls broadcasts, anchored morning drive, and started with the Bears in 1997, as co-host of the pre- and post-game shows.
A 1980 graduate of Hersey High School in Arlington Heights, and a 1984 Broadcast Journalism graduate of Iowa State University.
Here are Jeff Joniak’s “Keys to the Game” for the Bears as they head to Detroit for a key divisional matchup.
Here are Jeff Joniak’s “Keys to the Game” for the Bears as they take on the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday.
Brandon Marshall is having a career year for a Bears team with flickering playoff hopes. However, his frustration with the overall production of the offense eats at him.
Check out Jeff Joniak’s “Keys to the Game” for the Bears matchup against the Packers on Sunday at Solider Field.
Sneak in, charge in, or fold up the tent.
Here are Jeff Joniak’s “Keys to the Game” for the Bears as they take on the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday at Soldier Field.
Here are Jeff Joniak’s “Keys to the Game” for the Bears as they take on the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday at Soldier Field.
Brandon Marshall is prepared with a heightened level of excitement for his Sunday showdown at Soldier Field with two of the best cornerbacks in the NFC.
Here are Jeff Joniak’s “Keys to the Game” for the Bears as Chicago tries to end a two-game losing streak.
Here are Jeff Joniak’s “Keys to the Game” for the Bears as they travel to San Francisco to take on the 49ers on Monday Night.
It is far from a shock that Lovie Smith turns to his No. 2 to play like a No. 1 Monday night in San Francisco. Aside from landing a No. 1 receiver, it was first-year general manager Phil Emery’s mission to land a number two quarterback during free agency.
Here are Jeff Joniak’s “Keys to the Game” for the Bears as they welcome the Texans to Soldier Field on Sunday night.
Andre Johnson feels Sunday night’s showdown with the Bears at Soldier Field, may be the “biggest” game in the decade long history of the franchise.
Here are Jeff Joniak’s “Keys to the Game” for the Bears as they head to Nashville this weekend to play the Titans,
When I think of a physical defense, I think of linebackers, pass rushers, and safeties playing with reckless abandon. Not cornerbacks.
Here are Jeff Joniak’s “Keys to the Game” for the Bears game again the Panthers this weekend.
It’s telling that before being named NFC defensive player of the week in consecutive games for his performance against Jacksonville and Detroit, Charles Tillman had not been recognized for his work since 2005.
Jeff Joniak provides his keys to Monday night’s game against the Lions.
“Bad blood” exists between the Bears and Lions, simple as that. Short memories and short fuses in a powder keg environment could lead to some entertaining and interesting confrontations.
It looks like the Bears have an “offensive” defense once again.
- Students Disciplined For ‘Sexting’ Incident At Evanston Township HighIn a letter to parents dated Thursday, District 202 Supt. Eric Witherspoon wrote that girls sent inappropriate photos to members of the varsity baseball team.265
- Cops Crack Down On Retailers Who Sell Stolen GoodsA new law in Illinois is allowing police and retailers to work together to crack down on organized retail theft. CBS 2's Mike Puccinelli reports.117
- Jury Sides With Donald Trump In Condo Dispute With Woman, 87A federal jury has sided with developer Donald Trump -- not the 87-year-old woman who says she was cheated financially after buying two condominiums at his Trump Tower project.1056
- VIDEO: Guard Allegedly Pushes Dunbar Student Down StairsAn employee at a public high school in the Bronzeville neighborhood has been taken off the job after being recorded on cell phone video pushing a girl down a set of stairs.408
- Concealed Carry Bill Moves To House Floor, But Senate ObjectsA concealed-carry gun deal brokered by House Speaker Michael Madigan cleared a House committee Thursday, but its prospects were unclear across the Capitol in the Senate because of the way it would curb existing local gun laws.165
- Four Hurt In Wrong-Way Crash On Chicago SkywayA 25-year-old man has been cited for driving the wrong way on the Chicago Skyway, after a head-on crash with a pickup truck Thursday morning that sent four people to hospitals.232
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- RT @Millennium_Park: Tomorrow morning see a LIVE preview of Dinosaur Petting Zoo on CBS 2 from Millennium Park @CBS2Chicago @VinceGerasole … 8 hours ago
- RT @ChicagoDCASE: Tomorrow morning see a LIVE preview of Dinosaur Petting Zoo on CBS 2 from Millennium Park @CBS2Chicago @VinceGerasole htt… 8 hours ago