One of the most energetic and exciting voices of the National Football League, Jeff Joniak enters his 12th season behind the microphone as the play-by-play announcer of the Chicago Bears in 2012.
Joniak’s passion for the game and for the Bears is linked to a 26-year association with Chicago sports fans. Joniak has hosted the Chicago Bears game day broadcasts since 1997, serves as WBBM Newsradio 780 and 105.9 FM′s Director of Sports Operations while maintaining his afternoon drive-time sports anchor shifts.
Additionally, Joniak hosts “The Bears Insider” radio show on WBBM Newsradio 780 and 105.9FM with Bears head coach Lovie Smith each Monday night during the season. On game days, Joniak and Bears analyst Tom Thayer co-host Bears produced television shows, “Bears Game Day Live” and “Bears Game Night Live”. During the season, Joniak also writes a column for the Daily Herald, and pens his weekly “Keys to the Game” on ChicagoBears.com and CBSChicago.com.
Joniak and the Bears Radio staff earned the 2007 Peter Lisagor Award and the Associated Press Award for “Best Sports Reporting” for their coverage of Super Bowl XLI, the Silver Dome Award for “Best Play-by-Play” in 2006, and a 2007 regional RTNDA Edward R. Murrow Award for the Bears Radio pre-game feature “Joniak’s Journal” which focused on the difficulties experienced by Bears receiver Rashied Davis growing up in California during the “L.A. riots”.
Throughout the year, Joniak is asked to emcee many different events related to his work with the Bears including the National Football Foundation Scholarship Awards ceremony, the Ed Block Courage Award ceremony, the annual Bears Care Gala.
Before tackling Halas Hall, Joniak co-hosted the game day broadcasts for the Chicago Bulls during their championship years from 1991 to 1996. For the gripping coverage of the death of Walter Payton, Joniak and his staff won a prestigious Peter Lisagor Award. He also won two Lisagor awards for his coverage of the NFL Draft, AP awards for his sportscasts and Bears pre-game features.
Jeff’s first broadcasting job was at SportsPhone in Chicago, followed by stops at the Tribune Radio Network, Illinois News Network, CLTV, and Metro Networks where he started the sports department. It was at the old WMAQ Radio that Jeff became Sports Director, worked on the Bulls broadcasts, anchored morning drive, and started with the Bears in 1997, as co-host of the pre- and post-game shows.
A 1980 graduate of Hersey High School in Arlington Heights, and a 1984 Broadcast Journalism graduate of Iowa State University.
Here are Jeff Joniak’s “Keys to the Game” for the Bears’ trip to Jacksonville Sunday afternoon.
Smoothing out the rough spots after a month of Sundays begins with improving the first down production in the Bears’ run game.
Here are Jeff Joniak’s “Keys to the Game” for the Bears matchup against the Cowboys on Monday Night Football.
That statement challenges the prevailing opinion of NFL analysts, enthusiasts, I’m sure some coaches, most general managers, and probably every starting quarterback these days.
Check out Jeff Joniak’s “Keys to the Game” for the Bears matchup against the Rams on Sunday at Solider Field.
Finally! Peace and quiet around Halas Hall as the focus shifts to Sunday’s visit from the St. Louis.
In a span of five days, we’ve already witnessed the good, the bad, and the ugly of a football season. It’s not unusual.
Check out Jeff Joniak’s “Keys to the Game” for the Bears matchup against the Packers on Thursday at Lambeau Field.
Check out Jeff Joniak’s “Keys to the Game” for the Bears matchup against the Colts on Sunday at Soldier Field.
In his 216th NFL game Sunday against the Indianapolis Colts, Patrick Mannelly begins a record 15th season with the Bears.
Join Jeff Joniak and Tom Thayer right now on the Bears Radio Network.
To get to Dallas, the Bears have to give the ball to Matt Forte.
Offense: Block the Blitz This is the 8th straight start for the Bears offensive line. And it may be their most difficult challenge of the season. Rex Ryan’s defense brings the heat on every down. [...]
Who in their right mind will be looking forward to play in wind chills predicted in the -20 degree range next Monday night?
Jeff Joniak breaks down the keys to the Chicago Bears matchup with the New England Patriots.
Check out Jeff Joniak’s Keys To The Game as your Chicago Bears face the Detroit Lions at Ford Field. Bears Radio pre-game show begins at 9 a.m. C.T. and kick-off is at high Noon. GO BEARS!
By Jeff Joniak– Offense: Control the Clock Like the Bears did in Miami, it is wise at this point to control the clock in order to quiet down the high scoring Eagles offense. It’s asking [...]
Check out Jeff Joniak’s Keys To The Game as your Chicago Bears take on the Minnesota Vikings at Soldier Field. Bears Radio pre-game begins at 9 a.m. C.T. with Jeff Joniak and Tom Thayer and kick-off is at high Noon!
Check out Jeff Joniak’s Keys To The Game as your Chicago Bears face the Buffalo Bills in Canada, eh! Pre-game begins at 9 a.m. on Sunday. Kick-off is at high Noon!
Check out Jeff Joniak’s Keys To The Game as your Chicago Bears play the Washington Redskins at Soldier Field. Bears Radio pregame starts at 9 a.m. C.T. kickoff is at high Noon!
- The List: Chicago Schools To Be ClosedThe Chicago School Board voted to close 49 underutilized or underperforming elementary schools on Wednesday as part of a plan to close a $1 billion budget deficit.492
- Board Votes To Close 49 Chicago Elementary SchoolsThe Chicago Board of Education on Wednesday voted to close 49 elementary schools, in what is believed to be the biggest single mass shutdown of schools in U.S. history.4834
- Lockdown Lifted At Morton West High SchoolMorton West High School has been placed on lock down for precautionary reasons after an unknown individual entered the building.558
- Former Glenbard East Student Accused Of Planning Columbine-Type AttackA 19-year-old former student at Glenbard East High School in Lombard was in custody on Wednesday, accused of planning a "Columbine-style" attack on the school, with a list of people he wanted to target.561
- Woman Robs North Side BankA woman robbed a Lakeview bank Tuesday afternoon on the city’s North Side.262
- Four Schools To Be Spared From Closing; Another To Be DelayedHours before a final vote by the Chicago Board of Education, Chicago Public Schools officials have agreed to back off of plans to close four of the 53 elementary schools targeted for closing at the end of the school year, Board Vice President Jesse Ruiz confirmed Wednesday morning.415
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!