Kris Habermehl is a lifelong Chicagoan who has been flying since the mid 70′s. An early interest in aviation combined with a penchant for local history has enabled him to make stories come alive from his post aboard “Chopper 780.”
Kris has been on the air since 1992 when he joined Shadow Traffic. Reporting on traffic tie-ups and breaking news led to stints at several Chicago radio stations and also to his longtime assignment with sister station, WBBM-TV (CBS2).
Recipient of a regional Emmy for his television reporting, Kris has also been nominated for numerous other broadcast awards.
Kris is also the color commentator for our annual coverage of the Chicago Air & Water Show, a position which he has long viewed as his favorite task of the year.
e-mail Kris: KHaber2@aol.com
Flames were visible from as far as 10 miles away as the fire raged at a large mansion-style home in the 15200 block of 163rd Street in Homer Glen.
A family from San Francisco is furious, after their young daughter was stranded for hours at O’Hare International Airport as she flew alone to a camp in Michigan.
The Federal Aviation Administration has issued new restrictions on takeoffs and landings across the country, after three planes came dangerously close together in Washington, D.C.
Half of the counties in the entire country – and all but four in Illinois – have been declared disaster areas because of the ongoing drought.
Chicago drivers should expect to see some sticker shock at the gas pump very soon, as prices are expected to jump by as much as 35 cents.
Thousands of Chicago residents now have new garbage days, with the grid collection system expanding.
Traffic was disrupted early Monday when a water main broke and flooded busy Lincoln Avenue in the Lincoln Park-Old Town neighborhood.
A new report says many suburbs are transit-friendly – that is, hospitable for those who are not traveling with a car.
An Aurora man who had been reported missing at the Indiana Dunes has been found safe.
Metra wants to make your commute more comfortable, whether you’re on your computer or in the can.
The public will get a chance to meet Monday evening with railroad executives and federal investigators, about the deadly 4th of July derailment and bridge collapse on the Glenview-Northbrook border.
The busy intersection of Cermak Road and Harlem Avenue was awash in mud Monday morning, after a water main broke beneath the pavement.
A fiery crash left a driver dead, and shut down multiple lanes of Route 53 in the Schaumburg corridor early Thursday.
Interstate 55 was snagged as the morning rush began Monday, after a predawn crash left a semi-trailer truck on its side and a car demolished.
A car slammed into a semi-trailer truck in Berwyn early Friday, causing the truck to spill its diesel fuel all over the roadway.
A driver was injured, and the Tri-State Tollway was snagged, when a car slammed into the back of a truck, careened into a wall, and caught fire.
No one was hurt when a boat crashed into a breakwall on Lake Michigan Sunday night, but the skipper received a ticket from police.
A car fire snagged the Tri-State Tollway near O’Hare International Airport just as the morning rush began Friday.
Federal officials are investigating after a fire broke out last weekend at a church in Geneva.
The final leg of the Wacker Drive reconstruction project begins this week, and the intersection with Jackson Boulevard alongside the Willis Tower has closed.
- Body Found In Lake Is Missing U Of C StudentAuthorities have confirmed the body found in Lake Michigan early Wednesday belonged to a University of Chicago student who has been missing for a week.692
- Lewis Points Finger At ‘Rich White People’ For School ProblemsA day before the first set of school closings was set to begin, Chicago Teachers Union President Karen Lewis had some harsh words about how the Chicago Public Schools are funded and managed, blaming much of the district’s problems on racism.5989
- Man Shot To Death In South Suburban HomewoodNineteen-year-old Homewood resident Henry Kormoi died from at least one gunshot wound he suffered near home in the 1100 block of 187th Street.112
- State Discontinues Healthcare Funding For Disabled Stroke VictimUnconscionable. That's what a doctor calls a state decision to cut care funding for a patient.311
- Teen Says He Got E. Coli From Burrito At Lombard RestaurantA local teen says he got sick because of a burrito he ate from a local restaurant that's now the focus of an e coli outbreak.158
- Natura Pet Issues New Dog And Cat Food RecallNebraska-based Natura Pet Products has announced a new voluntary recall of multiple brands of dry pet food and treats. The decision comes after a positive test for Salmonella on April 3.7491
- Win $1,000 In Gas From Hyundai! June 17, 2013Enter to win $1,000 in free gas from Hyundai! What’s better than free gas? How about the 2013 Elantra Limited with an EPA-Estimated 38 MPG Highway! 28 City/38 Hwy. EPA Estimates. For comparison only. Actual mileage may vary.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!