Mai Martinez co-anchors CBS 2 Chicago’s weekend evening newscasts and serves as general assignment reporter during the week. Martinez joined the CBS 2 Chicago team in May of 2006.
Her work during the breaking news coverage of the Blue Line derailment in the summer of 2006 helped CBS 2 win a local Emmy award for Spot News.
Before working at CBS 2 Chicago, Martinez served as a general assignment reporter and fill-in anchor for WBRC-TV (FOX) in Birmingham, Alabama. While working for WBRC, Martinez spent eight weeks in Aruba covering the disappearance of Natalee Holloway for WBRC, Fox News Channel and CNN, often landing exclusive interviews. Her reports were picked up worldwide, and upon her return from Aruba, she continued to work as a frequent contributor to Fox News Channel.
Before Birmingham, Martinez worked for WDSI-TV in Chattanooga, Tennessee as a photographer, general assignment reporter and fill-in anchor. It was the first on-air job for Martinez who until 2003 worked behind the scenes as a video editor.
Prior to deciding television was the path for her, Martinez worked in radio as co-host of “Chris and Mai in the Mornings,” the WOXR K-98 FM morning show in Oxford, Alabama.
Martinez, who is fluent in Spanish, graduated Cum Laude from Jacksonville State University in Jacksonville, Alabama, with a B.A. in Communications and English and a minor in Spanish. She is half Cuban and half Vietnamese and enjoys volunteering her time to community organizations. Martinez is a proud member of both the National Association of Hispanic Journalists and the Asian American Journalists Association.
As the numbers of murders and shootings in Chicago continue to rise, the cries for more police officers have been getting louder.
There are no reported meningitis cases in Illinois, but as CBS 2′s Mai Martinez reports, hundreds of patients at three Chicago-area facilities are being warned.
With Chicago’s murder rate capturing national headlines, Police Supt Garry McCarthy is on the defense, touting recent progress his department has made in the fight against crime.
It’s been a week of teacher-less school, and an end to the strike can’t come soon enough for parents and some students.CBS 2’s Mai Martinez reports.
Another day of teachers striking meant another day of students out of school, and one South Shore family took their displeasure with the walkout to the streets of Chicago.
Given the drought conditions gripping the Midwest, the Chicago are really needs rain, but on Sunday, some areas got much more than they could handle.
Many players are dreaming of big games and championships, but as CBS 2′s Mai Martinez reports, those dreams have been shattered for some athletes before the school year even begins.
The enjoyable temperatures and sunny skies lately have been a welcome respite from the heat wave Chicago went through last month, but another factor in our recent weather has been making plenty of people sick.
Move over San Francisco and watch out New York — Chicago is now the second best city in the U.S. and Canada, according to Travel+Leisure magazine.
While Americans are celebrating Independence Day tomorrow, one Crestwood family will have even more to celebrate – the safe homecoming of a soldier who had been serving in Afghanistan.
Many of us are still trying to figure out just what to get dad for Father’s day, but CBS 2′s Mai Martinez doesn’t have to worry about that. She’s already given her dad something close to his heart: a trip back to his native Cuba.
Police and fire investigators aren’t saying much, but neighbors are certainly talking about what they think might be a religious hate crime.
When Olga Morales took her first child–just a baby–to daycare, she expected her to be carefully watched.
A south suburban gas station gave out about $12,000 worth of free gas over a two-week period recently, but it wasn’t part of a promotion, it was because someone tampered with the pumps.
More and more women are buying guns and learning how to use them. CBS 2′s Mai Martinez reports.
During a March 2 snowstorm, Rodney Peterson saw two teen girls walking, so he offered them a lift. A few days later, police showed up at his home. CBS 2′s Mai Martinez reports.
Police officers in the northwest suburb are using all kinds of apps to help keep criminals at bay. CBS 2′s Mai Martinez reports.
They were once allies, but now Illinois Secretary of State Jesse White and State Sen. Annazette Collins (D-Chicago) are at odds. Collins is threatening to sue White for libel for comparing her to convicted former Gov. Rod Blagojevich.
We all know florists are super busy on Valentine’s Day, but did you know it’s also a busy holiday for private investigators? CBS 2’s Mai Martinez spent the day with a Chicago private detective on the hunt for cheaters.
CBS 2′s Mai Martinez talks with Keenan Cahill, the Internet lip-synching sensation who has joined some of his favorite performers in music videos.
- Three Stabbed On Northwest SideThree teenagers were stabbed in the Belmont Cragin area Thursday night on the Northwest Side.88
- Students Disciplined For ‘Sexting’ Incident At Evanston Township HighIn a letter to parents dated Thursday, District 202 Supt. Eric Witherspoon wrote that girls sent inappropriate photos to members of the varsity baseball team.265
- Cops Crack Down On Retailers Who Sell Stolen GoodsA new law in Illinois is allowing police and retailers to work together to crack down on organized retail theft. CBS 2's Mike Puccinelli reports.117
- Jury Sides With Donald Trump In Condo Dispute With Woman, 87A federal jury has sided with developer Donald Trump -- not the 87-year-old woman who says she was cheated financially after buying two condominiums at his Trump Tower project.1056
- VIDEO: Guard Allegedly Pushes Dunbar Student Down StairsAn employee at a public high school in the Bronzeville neighborhood has been taken off the job after being recorded on cell phone video pushing a girl down a set of stairs.408
- Concealed Carry Bill Moves To House Floor, But Senate ObjectsA concealed-carry gun deal brokered by House Speaker Michael Madigan cleared a House committee Thursday, but its prospects were unclear across the Capitol in the Senate because of the way it would curb existing local gun laws.165
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- RT @Millennium_Park: Tomorrow morning see a LIVE preview of Dinosaur Petting Zoo on CBS 2 from Millennium Park @CBS2Chicago @VinceGerasole … 9 hours ago
- RT @ChicagoDCASE: Tomorrow morning see a LIVE preview of Dinosaur Petting Zoo on CBS 2 from Millennium Park @CBS2Chicago @VinceGerasole htt… 9 hours ago