For the last decade, Matt Spiegel has been a nationally syndicated talk show host on Sporting News Radio Network, hosting The Matt Spiegel Show. The show, a platform for his immense knowledge of sports history, as well as his uniquely entertaining perspective, was heard on more than 100 affiliates and on XM satellite radio.
Some of the highlights of his time at Sporting News:
•Hosting pre-game coverage for every NFL Sunday in 2007 and 2008.
•Hosting the pre-game and post-game coverage for Super Bowl XLII
•Broadcasting live from radio row all week in Phoenix for the Super Bowl between the Giants and Patriots in 2008.
•Anchoring the network’s live coverage of Baseball’s steroids hearings in Congress.
•Reporting live from The 2005 World Series at Chicago’s U.S. Cellular Field.
•Writing and voicing The Year in Review, a much heralded annual feature.
•Writing columns for Sporting News magazine, and for http://www.sportingnews.com.
For 7 years before joining Sporting News Radio, Matt was a host, producer, and reporter for WSCR-The Score, in Chicago. While there, he had a chance to cover Mike Ditka’s final days with the Bears, and the entire second three-peat for Michael Jordan’s great Chicago Bulls teams.
Matt’s first job in sports media was as an intern for Major League Baseball Productions, where he worked on This Week in Baseball for Mel Allen’s final 2 years with the show. Matt fetched Mel coffee and lunch every Thursday for 2 summers. While matriculating at Emerson College in Boston, Matt won several sportscasting awards, and went to Fenway 30 times a season.
Through the years, Matt has interviewed the biggest names in the business, including Joe Torre, Manny Ramirez, David Stern, Charles Barkley, Bob Costas, Wayne Gretzky, and countless more. NFL stars and coaches Matt has interviewed live include Joe Montana, Deion Sanders, Mike Ditka, Marshall Faulk, Warren Sapp, Andy Reid, Donovan McNabb, Jeff Fisher, Michael Irvin, Emmit Smith, Dick Vermeil, Eric Dickerson, Warren Moon, and Tony Dungy.
Matt was the founding producer of Sound Opinions, the world’s only Rock and Roll talk show, hosted by Jim DeRogatis of the Sun Times and Greg Kot of the Tribune. He produced their 2 years of television on WTTW-11 as well. Matt also was a DJ at WXRT-FM.
Matt is the founder and lead singer of Tributosaurus, one of Chicago’s hottest musical acts, becoming a different band every month at Martyrs’ on the north side since 2002. His singing talents have been heard on numerous commercial jingles through the years, including Feldco, several car dealerships & casinos.
Here are the over/under results from last night’s Blackhawks-Red Wings Game 7.
The Red Wings and Blackhawks meet tonight for a Game 7, for just the third time ever and the first since 1965.
Here are 10 reasons the White Sox will finish with more wins than the Cubs. (And cover that 4 and ½ win spread)
If you have any recollection of the Miami Heat against the New York Knicks in a violent best-of-five, then last night’s Bulls game looked awfully familiar.
Last night’s Game 2 in Brooklyn was just the kind of bounce back Jekyl follows Hyde game the Bulls have delivered all season long.
The Cubs embarked on the long haul of a true rebuild, and the image in mind always has been this: Restock that farm system, prepare great prospects to hit the big leagues together en masse, and then pounce on well-chosen free agents to finalize a winning mix.
It comes up just about every time Gavin Floyd pitches.
When the USA takes on Puerto Rico on Tuesday night in Miami to kick off round two of the World Baseball Classic, I’ll be locked and loaded.
Everyone knows what the big picture is. But we’ve all been through enough sports badness to deserve enjoyment when a team is this good.
What matters is his knee. Everything else? It’s just noise.
For you perhaps, or for the casual fan, or for your guests at a rousing chaotic gathering, I offer further levels of couch enjoyment.
It can happen. What Manti Te’o is saying happened to him can, and does, happen.
The near misses for Theo Epstein’s Cubs are piling up.
Jeffrey Loria is the worst, most relentlessly wicked owner in sports.
Jake Peavy locked himself in to the South Side yesterday, quickly and decisively.
Game on, folks, it’s the fall classic. I know some of us are locked and loaded, but you might be distracted by something shiny in the corner of the room.
The Yankees are dead.
Assuming the Bears are not involved, I choose October baseball over October football every time. It’s about games of consequence.
Jake Peavy’s final appearance stands as an emblem of his time on the White Sox.
What a weird, enormous win for the first-place White Sox on Monday.
- State Discontinues Healthcare Funding For Disabled Stroke VictimUnconscionable. That's what a doctor calls a state decision to cut care funding for a patient.311
- Teen Says He Got E. Coli From Burrito At Lombard RestaurantA local teen says he got sick because of a burrito he ate from a local restaurant that's now the focus of an e coli outbreak.158
- Natura Pet Issues New Dog And Cat Food RecallNebraska-based Natura Pet Products has announced a new voluntary recall of multiple brands of dry pet food and treats. The decision comes after a positive test for Salmonella on April 3.7491
- Bakery Blunder Makes ‘Cat Cake’ A Viral SensationOf all the cat memes on the Internet, this one takes the cake.900
- Search Dog Tracks Missing Student To LakefrontVolunteers, friends and family were out in force Tuesday morning, resuming the search for a missing University of Chicago student.586
- Initial Tests ID Glittery Substance Along BeachIndiana environmental officials were investigating whether a Porter County manufacturer was responsible for a slick of glittery material that kept many swimmers out of Porter Beach on Monday.1095
- Win $1,000 In Gas From Hyundai! June 17, 2013Enter to win $1,000 in free gas from Hyundai! What’s better than free gas? How about the 2013 Elantra Limited with an EPA-Estimated 38 MPG Highway! 28 City/38 Hwy. EPA Estimates. For comparison only. Actual mileage may vary.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!