While Boers prides himself on his sense of humor, the flipside to his funny bone is his unabashed directness. “I am bizarre, twisted, and perfectly willing to hit even the most sacred of cows upside the head.”
A Northern Illinois University alum, Boers began his career as sports editor for the Sun Journal Newspapers in Lansing, IL. From 1973 to 1978, he was assistant sports editor for Star Publications, based in Chicago Heights, IL. He then worked as a copy editor for the Detroit Free Press from 1978 to 1980.
Boers left Detroit in 1980 to join the Chicago Sun-Times sports staff, where he covered the Chicago Bulls from 1982 – 1985, was a featured columnist from 1988 – 1990, and then covered a variety sports, until August of 1992 when he joined The Score. Boers has also appeared on several television programs, including “The Sportswriters on TV” and “Sportsfire,” both airing on SportsChannel Chicago.
Boers has won several awards for outstanding journalistic coverage, including the Peter Lisagor Award – considered among Chicago print journalists as the local equivalent to the Pulitzer Prize, and AP awards for column and feature writing.
Given all that he has done, Boers says he loves covering sports in Chicago. “There’s no city in the country with a greater fan passion and so little reward. The bumbling by so many makes my life easy.” “To be a sports fan in Chicago you need a great sense of humor. If you don’t have one, call me. I will surgically implant one for little or no charge.”
Boers lives in the Southwest suburbs with his wife and his four sons.
- Woman Disputes Story Of Chicago Cop Who Shot Her DogTensions are boiling over in the Norwood Park neighborhood on Chicago's Northwest Side where an off-duty Chicago police officer shot and killed a dog, reports WBBM's Nancy Harty.189
- 3 Critically Hurt In Kennedy CrashThree people were critically injured in a crash on the Kennedy Expressway on the Northwest Side Sunday morning.271
- Woman Found Dead At O’HareA woman was found dead near a bus stop at O’Hare International Airport Saturday, authorities said.308
- Toddler Reunited With ParentsPolice on Sunday were looking for the parents or guardians of a little boy who was found in the West Side Douglas Park neighborhood.233
- A Dozen Illinoisans Come Within One Number Of $600M Powerball JackpotOne number in Saturday night’s Powerball drawing was the difference for a dozen Illinois players between being $10,000 richer and living the life of a multi-millionaire.404
- 12 Arrested After Youth ‘Flash Mobs’ Erupt On Michigan AvenueOne adult and 11 juveniles were arrested Saturday night after police responded to groups of teens running through traffic around North Michigan Avenue on the Gold Coast.410
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!
- Rivers Casino’s Baseball Fever Giveaway May 1, 2013Get Baseball Fever at Rivers Casino Sundays & Tuesdays in May! You could win great prizes and up to $25,000. Plus print out the WILD CARD that can help you win even more!
- Miller Lite ‘Take Me Out To The Ballpark’ Ticket Giveaway April 26, 2013Join The Score this summer at various locations throughout the Chicagoland area for your chance to win one of twenty pairs of tickets to a future White Sox game!