Vince Gerasole serves as a general assignment reporter for CBS 2 Chicago. Gerasole joined the station in April 2001, and since that time he has anchored and reported for various station newscasts.
Gerasole has been honored for excellence in broadcast journalism throughout his career. He was named the Best Broadcast Reporter in the state by the Associated Press of Illinois in 2002 and Best Newswriter in 2006 and 2007. He’s received 11 Emmy Awards for his work at CBS 2 Chicago, including three for outstanding individual reporting (2003, 2004, 2005), two for outstanding writing (2006 and 2007) and one for “Illinois Getaway Guide (2007)”, a half-hour special he wrote and hosted.
Gerasole was honored by the Associated Press of Pennsylvania for Best Spot News Coverage. He received the Leonardo DaVinci Award for “Excellence in Communications,” from the Illinois chapter of the Sons of Italy, and “The David Award,” from Illinois’ Italo-American National Union. Both awards honored his commitment to the community. Gerasole is also the 2006 recipient of the Dante Award from the Joint Civic Committee of Italian Americans. He is a three-time James Beard Award nominee for Excellence in Broadcast Food Reporting. Before working at CBS 2 Chicago, Gerasole was a general assignment reporter at WSB-TV in Atlanta, Ga. Prior to that, Gerasole worked as an anchor and reporter at KHNL-TV in Honolulu, Hawaii.
He also served as a Capitol Hill and White House correspondent in Washington, D.C., for Cox Broadcasting, and worked as an anchor and reporter at WPXI-TV in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and KCRL-TV in Reno, Nev. Gerasole, who is fluent in Italian, began his broadcasting career as a New York based field producer for the Italian Network RAI.
Vince graduated from Northwestern University with a B.A. in Political Science and Italian, and attended the University’s Medill School of Journalism. He is a native of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Gerasole, his wife and two daughters make their home in Evanston.
What began as a birthday celebration in Englewood ended Friday night in the shooting death of a man described as a dedicated husband and father.
The Northlight Theatre in Skokie is hosting a play honoring the life and music of Woody Guthrie, who would have turned 100 this year.
The teachers’ strike has propelled Chicago into the national and world spotlight, as articles explore the wider issues surrounding politics and public employee unions.
As CBS 2’s Vince Gerasole reports, whether NATO protests were a front-page headline or just another story buried inside depends on where you live.
The signs of the NATO Summit in Chicago aren’t limited to the fighter planes that roared over Chicago on Friday.
Patience is the buzzword this Saturday morning as motorists hit the roadways.
Commuters on Metra and South Shore Line trains are prepared for major headaches as the NATO Summit approaches in just two days.
Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich was in northwest suburban Rosemont on Wednesday, less than a week ahead of the Illinois GOP primary. He’s third in the delegate count behind Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum, and running second among those who say they are looking for “a true conservative.”
First Oprah Winfrey, now Rosie O’Donnell. Less than a year after launching her talk show on Winfrey’s OWN Network, and taking up shop in Winfrey’s Harpo Studios in the West Loop, O’Donnell appears to be moving her show to New York.
Despite the G8 summit being moved from Chicago to Camp David, the NATO summit still earmarked for the same weekend in Chicago remains a major event, drawing thousands of representatives from 28 countries.
An off-duty deputy fire chief came to the rescue of an Evanston family last week when he noticed their house was on fire and he ran up to get them out safely.
Attorneys for country music superstars Sugarland suggested in a recent court filing that fans who were killed or hurt when a stage collapsed at the Indiana State Fair last year were partly to blame for their injuries.
CBS 2′s Vince Gerasole found out that many people are starting to unfriend their Facebook pals – and learned why they do it.
Small businesses looking for small amounts of money are not always worth the effort for big banks. But, as CBS 2′s Vince Gerasole reports, a little-known city program has been able to find them millions.
Whitney Houston’s voice truly moved her fans. On Sunday, fans in Chicago were in shock over her death at the age of 48 in Los Angeles.
As the Chicago Auto Show begins rolling into town, there are signs that an industry on a bumpy road might finally be turning a corner.
Parents and children on Monday were trying to come to grips with the weekend stabbing death of Naperville second-grade teacher Shaun Wild. CBS 2′s Vince Gerasole reports.
Family, friends, and a community said goodbye Sunday to a family ripped apart by senseless violence.
Some cabbies aren’t thrilled with the program, thinking they’ll actually lose money as passengers double-up. CBS 2′s Vince Gerasole reports.
The town of Crystal Lake was mourning the loss of a local Marine whose helicopter crashed last Thursday in Afghanistan.
- Should Indoor Sprinklers Be Mandatory For New Homes?Safety advocates say new construction should include indoor sprinklers to make homes more fireproof. CBS 2's Chris Martinez looks at both sides of the debate.149
- Cop Shoots Trucker In Parking Lot Of Merrillville, Ind. Planned ParenthoodA police-involved shooting occurred in the parking lot of a Planned Parenthood office in Merrillville, Ind. Monday afternoon.254
- 25 Years Ago, Laurie Dann Went On Deadly Rampage On North ShoreIt was 25 years ago today when a tragedy unfolded in Winnetka.246
- Neighbor’s Dog Seriously Injures 9-Year-Old BoyA nephew of the dog owner was able to pull the animal off the boy, who suffered bites to his arms and legs.321
- Storms Likely On Monday Afternoon, EveningWarm, humid air over Chicago is likely to create some strong, isolated thunderstorms around the evening rush hour on Monday.431
- Three Teens Arrested After Large Fight On Lakefront On South SideThree teens were arrested on Sunday, after police broke up a large fight along the lakefront in the Jackson Park neighborhood.337
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!