4th of July
An Arlington Heights family returned home from a two-day vacation on the 4th of July to find their home burglarized and their dog lying dead in the oven — a gruesome act police now say was domestic-related.
Though they were without power for days, neighbors in one hard-hit part of West Chicago have high praise for ComEd crews who’ve been working around the clock.
Sources say at least 28 people were arrested overnight for a series of violent attacks across the city, including 11 arrested for beating a man leaving the July 4th fireworks at Navy Pier.
Gunfire has taken another deadly toll on the city, leaving at least three people dead and 13 more wounded in shootings on the 4th of July alone.
The 4th of July isn’t just any holiday for a man named Ron Raidy. It’s anniversary of the day he died and was brought back to life.
With record-high temperatures expected throughout the area Wednesday, as well as the usual displays — official and improvised — of fireworks to celebrate Independence Day, this could be a doubly stressful day for pets.
Wednesday’s heat and humidity didn’t stop the 4th of July parade in Hoffman Estates, where four towns were coming together to celebrate the nation’s birthday.
This year, 2.4 million people in Illinois will take to the road for the Independence Day holiday, and most are already gone.
While Americans are celebrating Independence Day tomorrow, one Crestwood family will have even more to celebrate – the safe homecoming of a soldier who had been serving in Afghanistan.
July 1 can only mean one thing on busy Central Street in Evanston — it’s time to bring out the lawn chairs, duct tape, blankets and beach towels.
While the drought has forced some suburbs to cancel fireworks this year, Sunday’s storms have halted the parade and the fireworks in Wheaton.
If you’re as big of a (party pooper) stickler for nutrition as I am, or if you’re just simply looking to rotate in some fresh and delicious kid-enticing treats at, say, your Fourth of July party, you’ve landed on the right article (read: there will be no mention of anything marshmallows or fluff or those little black and white cookies that are chalked full of equal parts of sinful and good).
Join in the Fourth of July fun at bars near Navy Pier and beyond with some great food and drink specials.
You can’t have a Fourth of July without fireworks. Fortunately, Navy Pier isn’t the only place to go to watch them. Many of the Chicago suburbs are also hosting their own displays, many accompanied by food fests and as they say, “fun for the whole family.” (Except that 13-year-old who thinks everything is uncool, including fireworks.)
One Chicago suburb is cancelling its July 4th fireworks display, but it has nothing to do with budget problems.
Fewer people will be hitting the road this 4th of July holiday weekend.
Celebrating the Fourth of July in Chicago as a family with small children is much different than the days of pre-kids fourth festivities. Here are a few ideas to help you get started making some family-friendly plans.
Here’s a roundup of a few of my favorite Summer-themed articles to help ring in the occasion!
- Boy, 17, Fatally Shot In Back Of The YardsA teenage boy was fatally shot in the South Side Back of the Yards neighborhood Tuesday evening, police said.147
- Police: Man Killed In Jump From Gold Coast BuildingA man jumped to his death early Tuesday from the Gold Coast high-rise building where he lived, authorities said.303
- Police: Man Touches Woman’s Leg At South Loop CTA StationPolice are looking for man who inappropriately touched a woman at a South Loop CTA station Tuesday morning.147
- Rapper Chief Keef Arrested In Georgia Hotel After Staff Smells MarijuanaChicago rapper Chief Keef makes no secret of his fondness for marijuana. The staff at the swanky LeMeridien Atlanta Perimeter hotel doesn’t share that fondness.144
- Florida Man Pleads Guilty In Fatal Stabbing Of Bears FanA Florida man has pleaded guilty to fatally stabbing a Bears fan who traveled to Jacksonville to see the Bears take on the Jaguars in October.619
- Man Critically Hurt In Jump From 3rd Floor Of HospitalA man was critically injured after attempting to jump from the window of a hospital Tuesday in the South Side Englewood neighborhood.201
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!