Rosa Bocanegra says every day, every shift, she has to be ready for the unexpected.
Police Supt. Garry McCarthy said incidents in two neighborhoods on the same night this week showed police have the right strategy in reducing the number of 911 calls that officers respond to in person.
Starting this week, Chicago police are changing their responses to 911 calls. They’ll no longer come right away to reports of things like criminal damage to property, vehicle thefts, garage burglaries, or other crimes in which the suspect is no longer on the scene, and the victim isn’t in immediate danger.
Susan Sandberg’s home was burglarized in September, during the middle of the day. Her burglar alarm system worked, but she says Chicago’s 9-1-1 center failed her.
The newspapers that are not endorsing President Barack Obama are extremely brave. They are to be positively recognized for their courage to stand up against the onslaught of the liberal media which refuses to speak in the best interest of the country as the presidential election nears.
When the storm and its headlines have passed, however, the questions about the Benghazi tragedy should continue full force as November 6 continues to near. During the much-needed questioning and impending investigation, it would be grand if President Obama would remain presidential throughout the process.
By now it’s obvious that Obama and his administration did not handle the situation correctly. Rather than taking a presidential stance during the horrendous incident, Obama kept his mind and actions on his 2012 reelection campaign and tried to alter the obvious reasons for the deadly attack.
Opinion: With Economics Intertwined With Foreign Affairs Romney Will Win The Final Presidential Debate
Romney’s ideas – if presented fresh and enthusiastically hopeful for America’s future – can be the final bump he needs to win this election.
While there’s nothing wrong with an African-American president speaking in a black dialect, there is something terribly wrong with him speaking in a black accent and cadence when undoubtedly inciting racism to a predominantly African-American audience.
With Americans watching the nearing of the date September 11, 2012 on the calendar for weeks – if not months – and dreading the stark reality that something disastrous may happen to innocent Americans again, the president and his political cronies refused to believe what happened.
The thought of going an entire day without political campaigning out respect of those who lost their lives on 9/11/2001 was a nice and extremely appropriate thought. However, disappointing to many, it wasn’t the respectful day totally without political bickering that was expected by many who were watching and listening.
Our economy is on a slow recovery – slower than anyone wants. But the lack of serious discussion about national security and the world we live in is troubling.
If you’ve ever received a call because someone you know “butt-dialed” you, you know how annoying it can be. But when someone “butt-dials” 911, it’s not just an inconvenience, it’s a public safety issue.
The tragic events of September 11 happened just over a decade ago, but the country hasn’t forgotten. Among the many ways Chicago is commemorating the anniversary is with the riveting Ground Zero 360° exhibit, on view at The Field Museum through January 2.
A state lawmaker at the center of controversial 911 calls from her home has decided not to run for re-election, reversing an earlier statement.
The Cubs beat the New York Mets 10-6 Sunday night following a six-run 11th inning, in a game that ended nearly five hours after the Mets held a touching ceremony to mark the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11.
Dan Shanower, a 40-year-old U.S. Navy commander, was among the 183 killed when terrorists slammed a plane into the Pentagon where he worked.
It began Thursday night, prior to the matchup between the Saints and Packers, when Kid Rock let us know his parents were Elton John and Uncle Sam and continued to not only ruin music but also force feed viewers another big ol’ slice of jingoistic pie.
Jeffrey Collman switched shifts with someone on that fateful day 10 years ago and ended up on Flight 11, the first jet to strike the World Trade Center. His parents talked with CBS 2′s Suzanne Le Mignot.
On Sept. 11, 2001, thousands of them put on their uniforms, kissed their loved ones and went to work. But 33 flight crew members never made it home.
- Divers Pull Body From Lake Michigan On South SideA young man's body has been pulled from Lake Michigan, not far from where a missing University of Chicago student is believed to have been when he vanished during last week's thunderstorms.328
- Lewis Points Finger At ‘Rich White People’ For School ProblemsA day before the first set of school closings was set to begin, Chicago Teachers Union President Karen Lewis had some harsh words about how the Chicago Public Schools are funded and managed, blaming much of the district’s problems on racism.526
- Man Shot To Death In South Suburban HomewoodNineteen-year-old Homewood resident Henry Kormoi died from at least one gunshot wound he suffered near home in the 1100 block of 187th Street.112
- State Discontinues Healthcare Funding For Disabled Stroke VictimUnconscionable. That's what a doctor calls a state decision to cut care funding for a patient.311
- Teen Says He Got E. Coli From Burrito At Lombard RestaurantA local teen says he got sick because of a burrito he ate from a local restaurant that's now the focus of an e coli outbreak.158
- Natura Pet Issues New Dog And Cat Food RecallNebraska-based Natura Pet Products has announced a new voluntary recall of multiple brands of dry pet food and treats. The decision comes after a positive test for Salmonella on April 3.7491
- Win $1,000 In Gas From Hyundai! June 17, 2013Enter to win $1,000 in free gas from Hyundai! What’s better than free gas? How about the 2013 Elantra Limited with an EPA-Estimated 38 MPG Highway! 28 City/38 Hwy. EPA Estimates. For comparison only. Actual mileage may vary.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!