The Adler Planetarium in Chicago celebrates its 83rd Anniversary today. When it opened in 1930, Alder had the distinction of being the first planetarium in the Western Hemisphere. The institution is planning another first this year and some of its rarely-seen collections will be part of the show.
From burlesque shows to trivia nights, the Chicagoland area offers numerous opportunities for fans of the “Star Wars” films to celebrate May the Fourth.
Did you know that America’s first planetarium is right here in our own backyard? Max Adler, a Chicago business leader, founded the planetarium in 1930. And since then, the center has been a recognized leader in science education…
Chicago can be a vibrant city for people of all ages. Make sure to make the most of what Chicago has to offer for the older generation by taking advantage of the many discounts and venues that cater towards seniors.
From checking out the solar system to going head-to-head with other film buffs, there’s never been a better time to be a nerd in Chicago.
The Adler Planetarium is getting a new leader: a woman who describes herself as an amateur astronomer.
Three Apollo program astronauts will have their footprints set into concrete on Tuesday at the Adler Planetarium, in a ceremony to honor veterans of the final moon landing.
A free light show is on tap tonight, weather permitting, just above the horizon – as little pieces of a comet streak through Earth’s atmosphere.
An Adler Planetarium astronomer who said he’d go to Mars “in a heartbeat,” said he’s thrilled by what the rover Curiosity might find on the red planet.
The hunt for life beyond earth continues as rover curiosity heads for a Sunday landing on Mars.
Need a summer vacation? How about a tour of the universe? And the best part is you won’t even have to leave Chicago.
Hundreds of millions of people across the Earth found their eyes focused on another planet on Tuesday, as Venus passed directly in front of the Sun.
The Field Museum as decided to join the other institutions on the Museum Campus and close on Sunday and Monday for the NATO Summit.
The Shedd Aquarium, the Adler Planetarium, and the Art Institute of Chicago will be closed for three days on the weekend of the NATO Summit.
Why not try something different for Mother’s Day this year? Instead of a Mother’s Day brunch, a spa treatment or breakfast in bed, how about treating mom to a picnic outside to enjoy the weather and nature. Mom can kick back, relax and still enjoy spending time with her family. She’ll enjoy homemade sandwiches Dad can make with the kids, or if that’s too adventuresome there are plenty of places where you can pick up some nice sandwiches and sides to take along with you.
The Adler Planetarium helped create a new Web tool, which allows the public to keep track of efforts to find out if there is intelligent life anywhere else in this vast universe.
The Adler Planetarium, the first ever planetarium built in the U.S., has been wowing visitors with its unique take on space science education since 1930. Located on Chicago’s Northerly Island, it’s part of the Museum Campus together with the Shedd Aquarium and the Field Museum of Natural History. From the Big Bang to the stars over Chicago, the Adler will take you on a trip beyond our galaxy without having to don a cumbersome space suit…
A massive asteroid will be passing very close to earth, at least in astronomical terms, at 5:28 p.m. Tuesday.
Visiting Chicago’s museums is an enriching experience, but it can be prohibitively expensive. Most area museums schedule free days each year, and Illinois residents can take advantage of extra discounts. Read on for a round up of free days for the rest of 2011 – now you’ll know where to go the next time you have an unexpected day off.
An eclectic combination of historical and hip sets the South Loop neighborhood apart from its fellows. The once barely inhabited industrial section of the city is now densely populated with a vibrant, young community of professionals, students and families.
- Woman Critically Hurt In Back Of The Yards Domestic IncidentA woman is in critical condition after she was stabbed in a domestic incident Sunday afternoon in the Back of the Yards neighborhood.95
- Police Seek Help Identifying Elderly Woman Found On South SidePolice are asking for the public’s help identifying an elderly woman found in the South Shore neighborhood.106
- Man Charged After Setting Luxury Boat On FireA man was arrested after firefighters discovered him on boat that was set on fire Friday.146
- Police: Man Killed In South Shore ShootingA man was fatally shot in the head in the South Shore neighborhood Saturday night, police said.97
- Local Expert: Overhyped Weather Coverage Negatively Impacting PublicA Chicago journalist and author who wrote the book on storm chasing is troubled that a pursuit that used to be solely be for science has turned into a ‘spectator sport’ and is worried that often-times overhyped weather coverage may be dulling the public’s senses when it comes to dangerous weather.105
- 1 Dead, Another Wounded In Apparent Road Rage Incident On North SideCharles Jones was shot and killed overnight after leaving the gentleman’s club he owned.621
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!