As the Chicago Public Schools prepares to announce its final list of schools that will be closed or consolidated at the end of the school year, district officials were promising investments for schools that receive affected students.
Services have been all but shut down at an HIV/AIDS service center on the city’s West Side for the past two weeks, after vandals stole copper from the building and left it without electricity or air conditioning.
Good gravy. It is still so stupid hot. Even if it’s not triple digits, this is still gross. My shirt is holding onto every inch of my back. Walking is hard. Biking makes me feel and smell like a surly viking. THIS MUST STOP. Let’s go cool off and remember that we live in an age where for the low, low cost of our children’s future with an ozone layer, we can be cold right now – YEAH! Besides, they’ll probably invent totally green-recyclable-organic A/C units that make the rainforest glow with Gaia’s energy. We deserve to be cold, and the kids will fix it! DOUBLE YEAH!
More than 400 Cook County Jail inmates had to be shifted to different facilities Friday night when air conditioning units in the building they were housed in overheated.
When temperatures get extremely hot, as they have for the last several days, something else goes up too — calls to air conditioner repair companies.
A 94-year-old Glenview woman encountered a road block when she went to the DMV to take an on-road examination. CBS 2′s Brad Edwards explains.
The buzz of air conditioners is back for nearly 3,000 Lincoln Park neighborhood residents who lost power overnight.
As the heat ratchets up above 100 degrees Thursday, the Chicago Public Schools are canceling classes in 10 buildings that do not have working air conditioning.
The heat settling in on the Chicago area isn’t just uncomfortable, it’s potentially dangerous.
Climate change is coming to some high-rise buildings on the Near West Side.
Chicago has had eight days of record warmth, and it’s caused some residents of Presidential Towers in the West Loop to wonder why the air conditioning isn’t on.
It’s hard to imagine, but some children are going to school without air conditioning during this heat wave. Parents with children in summer school at William Penn Elementary School were gathering Thursday morning to speak out against what they’re calling “unbearable conditions” in the classrooms.
Burglars struck the Animal Welfare League shelter on the city’s South Side earlier this week.
Union Station is getting a makeover, to the tune of $40 million.
- Should Indoor Sprinklers Be Mandatory For New Homes?Safety advocates say new construction should include indoor sprinklers to make homes more fireproof. CBS 2's Chris Martinez looks at both sides of the debate.149
- Cop Shoots Trucker In Parking Lot Of Merrillville, Ind. Planned ParenthoodA police-involved shooting occurred in the parking lot of a Planned Parenthood office in Merrillville, Ind. Monday afternoon.254
- 25 Years Ago, Laurie Dann Went On Deadly Rampage On North ShoreIt was 25 years ago today when a tragedy unfolded in Winnetka.246
- Neighbor’s Dog Seriously Injures 9-Year-Old BoyA nephew of the dog owner was able to pull the animal off the boy, who suffered bites to his arms and legs.321
- Storms Likely On Monday Afternoon, EveningWarm, humid air over Chicago is likely to create some strong, isolated thunderstorms around the evening rush hour on Monday.431
- Three Teens Arrested After Large Fight On Lakefront On South SideThree teens were arrested on Sunday, after police broke up a large fight along the lakefront in the Jackson Park neighborhood.337
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!