Matt Moore pitched one-hit ball into the sixth, Matt Joyce homered twice and the Tampa Bay Rays stayed three games behind in the chase for the second AL wild card Saturday by beating the sliding Chicago White Sox 10-4.
Alex Rios hit his career-high 25th homer and the Chicago White Sox gave their fading playoff hopes a boost, beating Tampa Bay 3-1 on Friday night to end the Rays’ eight-game winning streak.
Ryan Doumit had four RBIs for Minnesota, including the go-ahead two-run double in the eighth inning to help the Twins beat Detroit 4-2 on Friday and keep the Tigers from moving any closer to the AL Central title.
Evan Longoria hit a tiebreaking homer in the ninth inning and the surging Tampa Bay Rays won their eighth straight game Thursday night, handing the White Sox a 3-2 loss that hurts Chicago’s playoff hopes.
Adam Dunn homered twice, including a clutch three-run shot in the eighth inning, and the Chicago White Sox beat the Cleveland Indians 5-4 on Monday night to maintain their one-game lead in the AL Central.
Jamey Carroll hit an RBI single in the 10th inning and the Minnesota Twins beat Detroit 2-1 Sunday, winning both games of a doubleheader to prevent the Tigers from at least tying the Chicago White Sox atop the AL Central.
Anibal Sanchez took a no-hitter into the seventh inning and the Detroit Tigers beat the Cleveland Indians 5-3 Saturday despite losing a run on an appeal play.
Francisco Liriano is a difficult pitcher to figure out.
Justin Verlander pitched seven shutout innings and made sure Detroit stayed in step with first-place Chicago in the AL Central, leading the Tigers to a 4-0 win over the downward spiraling Cleveland Indians on Friday night.
The makeup game will be played Monday at 1:10 p.m. Game tickets and parking coupons for tonight’s postponed contest will be honored then.
The Detroit Tigers remain one game behind the White Sox for first place in the American League Central Division, after losing to the Anaheim Angels Friday night.
The Chicago White Sox fell back to second place for the first time in nearly a month. It had been even longer since Chris Sale left the ballpark with a loss.
Since Opening Day on March 30th, teams in the American League Central Division have played approximately fifty games, and already massive disparities have set in.
The White Sox open officially open the second half of their season on Friday, and after the first 92 games of the season, there’s significantly less optimism than there was during spring training.
After a disappointing first half, the Chicago White Sox will likely face the biggest stretch of their season as they’ll play 12 consecutive games against AL Central opponents, starting with the Detroit Tigers.
The Chicago White Sox will have a little more time off before they resume play on Friday against the Detroit Tigers. It’ll be a series that will hopefully showcase a different Adam Dunn than was seen in the first half, because they need it to.
The White Sox’s 44-48 record through the first 92 games of the season hasn’t necessarily led to optimism among their fans. And to make matters worse, they suffered a 3-1 series loss to the Twins heading into the All-Star break.
The Chicago White Sox are two games under .500, but because the rest of the division is struggling as well, they find themselves just four and a half games back of the Cleveland Indians.
The high expectations the White Sox had coming into this season haven’t been met, that’s no secret at all. But as bad as the team and individual players have been, they can still reach those expectations with good second half.
Throughout the season, the White Sox have been plagued with an inconsistent offense and, at times, a shaky bullpen. It’s their starting pitching that’s kept them afloat, and can keep the season alive.
- Mother Of Student Pushed Down School Stairs ‘Enraged’ At Security GuardNew video surfaced Friday that appears to show sophomore Lauren Goodlow being pushed by a male security guard. CBS 2's Dorothy Tucker reports.329
- House Passes Concealed Carry Plan Opposed By Senate LeaderGun owners in the only state still banning concealed weapons would win that right under a plan approved by the Illinois House on Friday, but the governor and other powerful Democrats oppose the plan because it would wipe out local gun ordinances -- including Chicago's ban on assault weapons.220
- Two Shot Near Roosevelt CTA StationAround 11:10 a.m., a 57-year-old man and a 30-year-old man were shot in the 1100 block of South State Street.256
- Store Owner Kidnapped In Pilsen, SUV StolenPolice said the 78-year-old man was closing the store in the 1100 block of West 18th Street when a group of men threw a pillowcase over his head, hit him in the face, and forced him into his own SUV.248
- Man Found Shot To Death In Zion Supermarket Parking LotThe man found shot to death in a parking in north suburban Zion on Thursday afternoon has been identified as a Waukegan resident.152
- School Warns Parents Of Kidnapping Attempt On PlaygroundA man tried to abduct a 4th grader from the playground at Alexander Graham Bell Elementary School at 3730 N Oakley Ave on Wednesday.150
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!