Ald. Matt O’Shea
Rowdy drunks would pay through the nose if they try again to take over a South Side Irish Parade that made a family-oriented comeback last year, thanks to a crackdown approved Wednesday that could lead to a rash of arrests at the Pride Parade.
Inebriated “idiots” once accused of “hijacking” the South Side Irish Parade would pay a heavy price if they dare to do it again, under a crackdown advanced Thursday by a City Council committee.
Nearly 70 people lost everything this past weekend, when an extra-alarm fire ripped through their condo building in the Morgan Park neighborhood.
City officials and proponents of the South Side Irish Parade seemed close Friday to reaching a deal to resurrect the festival that was canceled two years ago. CBS 2′s Mike Puccinelli reports.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel said Thursday he hopes the organizers of the South Side Irish Parade have taken the last three years to think about how to resume the parade, while making sure to avoid the alcohol-fueled mayhem that prompted the Beverly neighborhood to put a stop to the event after 2009.
Nearly three years after it was scrapped because it had morphed into a beer-drenched, arrest-filled nightmare for Southwest Side neighborhoods, the South Side Irish St. Patrick’s Day Parade appears to be coming back.
The City Council — as a formality — moved Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s $6 billion budget another step closer to its expected passage Wednesday. But some aldermen are still hoping to make changes.
- Two Charged With River North BurglariesTwo people have been charged with burglary in connection with a spate of robberies this month in the River North neighborhood.98
- Portage Theater Closed For NowThe 93-year-old landmark theater at 4050 N. Milwaukee Ave. was shut down on Friday after Ald. John Arena (45th) blocked Carranza’s application for a liquor license, according to Carranza.90
- Man Shot And Killed Inside Hyde Park HomeA murder in Hyde Park, just blocks away from President Barack Obama's home.213
- Noise From Music Fest At Chicagoland Speedway Has Neighbors Up In ArmsMost of the complaints seem to be coming from the east of the Chicagoland Speedway in new Lenox, Frankfort and Mokena as grandstands protect the other three sides.127
- Roseland Hospital Cuts Staff, Salaries To Keep Doors OpenAs it waits to hear if it’ll receive a $7 million bailout to stay open, Roseland Community Hospital laid off almost 70 employees, and other hospital employees will take a pay cut.89
- Rev. Jackson: School Closings UndemocraticOpponents of Chicago school closures are vowing to fight on, but they appear to have little chance of reversing the mayor's agenda... unless a federal judge steps in, reports WBBM's Mike Krauser.90
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!