A 64-year-old man who was freed from prison last year, after prosecutors dropped charges in a 1982 double murder case, has filed a $40 million lawsuit against Northwestern University, accusing a former professor and his team of railroading him into a false confession.
In another stunning reversal in a 1982 double murder, Cook County prosecutors have thrown out the conviction of 64-year-old Alstory Simon, whose videotaped confession freed Anthony Porter from death row in 1999, approximately 48 hours before Porter was to be executed.
Cook County prosecutors were taking another step Wednesday toward possibly releasing a man from prison – 15 years after he confessed to two murders.
The Cook County State’s Attorney has been re-evaluating a 1982 murder case to see if the right man is in prison, and WBBM has learned there are developments in the case.
Former Cook County State’s Attorney Richard Devine has said he doesn’t remember one of his top prosecutors raising concerns about the innocence of a man who was freed from death row in 1999, in a case that became a catalyst to end the death penalty in Illinois.
Alstory Simon confessed to the murders of two people, but has since said his confession was coerced.
The Chicago police union has asked the Cook County State’s Attorney’s office to examine a milestone double murder case, to see if the right man is behind bars.
A Chicago man who spent years in prison on a wrongful murder conviction is headed back behind bars.
David Protess and his students at Northwestern University have helped free innocent men from Illinois prisons. But now, it seems that the professor and the university are at odds.