Assault Weapons Ban
Governor Pat Quinn has told Illinois lawmakers the state is at a critical juncture, and he’s outlined an ambitious legislative wish list.
CBS 2’s Mike Puccinelli reports new laws could be tough to sell at gun shows, like one held in suburban Rosemont on Friday.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel escalated his assault on gun manufacturers on Thursday, accusing them of being more concerned with their bottom line than either public safety, or the 2nd Amendment right to bear arms.
The president announced he will press Congress to pass legislation requiring background checks on all gun purchases; reinstate the ban on military-style assault weapons; renew a 10-round limit on the size of ammunition magazines; and prohibit the possession, transfer, manufacture, or import of armor-piercing bullets.
Police Supt. Garry McCarthy continued the city’s full court press on gun violence, showing off a table full of confiscated guns, and trotting out statistics comparing Chicago to New York.
An Illinois Senate vote to ban semi-automatic assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition clips has been delayed, because supporters have yet to line up enough votes to pass the two measures.
An Illinois Senate committee, in a party-line vote, has approved restrictions on semiautomatic assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition clips.
President Barack Obama on Wednesday pledged to move quickly on tightening gun control laws. He formed a task force to give him recommendations within a month.
The deadly school shooting spree last week in Connecticut prompted Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn to push for a review of school safety measures in the state.
In the wake of the school shooting massacre in Newtown, Conn., Mayor Rahm Emanuel made his strongest call yet for an assault weapons ban on Monday, while police Supt. Garry McCarthy also suggested having top police brass help review security measures in place at the city’s public schools.
The Rev. Jesse Jackson led a group of nearly 100 people who picketed outside of a River North movie theater on Saturday, calling for a ban on the sale and possession of assault weapons.
The Illinois Supreme Court has ruled that a challenge to the Cook County assault weapons ban may proceed, reversing a lower court decision.
- Woman Disputes Story Of Chicago Cop Who Shot Her DogTensions are boiling over in the Norwood Park neighborhood on Chicago's Northwest Side where an off-duty Chicago police officer shot and killed a dog, reports WBBM's Nancy Harty.189
- 3 Critically Hurt In Kennedy CrashThree people were critically injured in a crash on the Kennedy Expressway on the Northwest Side Sunday morning.271
- Woman Found Dead At O’HareA woman was found dead near a bus stop at O’Hare International Airport Saturday, authorities said.308
- Toddler Reunited With ParentsPolice on Sunday were looking for the parents or guardians of a little boy who was found in the West Side Douglas Park neighborhood.233
- A Dozen Illinoisans Come Within One Number Of $600M Powerball JackpotOne number in Saturday night’s Powerball drawing was the difference for a dozen Illinois players between being $10,000 richer and living the life of a multi-millionaire.404
- 12 Arrested After Youth ‘Flash Mobs’ Erupt On Michigan AvenueOne adult and 11 juveniles were arrested Saturday night after police responded to groups of teens running through traffic around North Michigan Avenue on the Gold Coast.410
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!
- Rivers Casino’s Baseball Fever Giveaway May 1, 2013Get Baseball Fever at Rivers Casino Sundays & Tuesdays in May! You could win great prizes and up to $25,000. Plus print out the WILD CARD that can help you win even more!
- Miller Lite ‘Take Me Out To The Ballpark’ Ticket Giveaway April 26, 2013Join The Score this summer at various locations throughout the Chicagoland area for your chance to win one of twenty pairs of tickets to a future White Sox game!