The courageous Logan Square shopkeeper who fought off a pair of armed robbers with a baseball bat said Tuesday he bears no ill will toward the men who shot him and tried to rob him.
Michael Highsmith told detectives that he had been friends with the victim for more than four years, and that he attacked him to steal his jewelry, Balmes said.
A $10,000 reward is being offered for information leading to the arrest of the gunman who shot and killed a former volleyball player from Wheaton, who was gunned down in her car in St. Louis over the weekend.
A 27-year-old man was arrested on Saturday, after sexually assaulting a woman in an alley in the Lincoln Square neighborhood.
The Indiana law that allows licensed residents to carry concealed firearms has apparently helped break up what could have been a bloody robbery.
A South Side man was ordered held without bond after being caught hiding in a Loop tavern after unsuccessfully trying to nab an iPhone from a CTA customer early Saturday.
Another Northwestern University student was attacked by robbers for his cell phone overnight, in the third such incident in just the past few weeks on or near the Evanston campus.
Two people tried to rob a Chicago Police officer in the South Side’s Oakland neighborhood overnight, by hitting him in the head with a brick.
A man drove himself to the hospital late Sunday after he was shot while grabbing the gun from a man who was trying to rob him on the South Side.
Three people were arrested for mob action and police continue to investigate after a man was attacked by a group of young men on Northwestern University’s Streeterville campus Saturday night.
A Far South Side grocery owner and his nephew tackled a man who doused them with gasoline while threatening to set the store on fire during an attempted robbery Thursday in the Morgan Park neighborhood.
One person was killed and another was critically wounded when they were shot while allegedly trying to rob an armored truck on the West Side.
A Chicago man was charged with five felonies on Thursday, a day after he tried to rob a suburban Subway restaurant and then stole a cab, leading police on high-speed chase for about an hour.
- Teen Hurt In Little Village ShootingA 14-year-old boy was shot in the arm Saturday afternoon in the Southwest Side Little Village neighborhood.86
- Man Charged With Videotaping Women In Hospital WashroomA poorly secured cell phone in a west suburban hospital washroom that a man had allegedly set up to secretly videotape women in the toilet area was discovered by a woman when the phone fell to the washroom floor on Friday. She alerted police, who then arrested and charged a 49-year-old Franklin Park man with unlawful videotaping.156
- Young Man Shot Outside Old Orchard Shopping CenterA young man was wounded in a shooting in north suburban Skokie Friday night, outside the Old Orchard Shopping Center.227
- 3 Dead, 8 Shot In Citywide ViolenceThree men were killed and at least eight other people were wounded in violence around the city since Friday night.167
- Orange Line Service Resumes After Train-Pedestrian IncidentCTA commuters were temporarily stymied on the Orange Line during the Friday rush hour after a train fatally struck a man on the tracks.401
- Illinois Senate Passes Medical Marijuana LegislationIllinois Gov. Pat Quinn must decide if he will sign a measure allowing the use of marijuana for medical purposes after the state Senate approved legislation on Friday.1238
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- OREO Text-In Giveaway May 6, 2013The OREO King Size single serve packs are ideal for on the go snacking and sharing. To celebrate OREO King Size packs, text the keyword “OREO” to 67011 to enter for your chance to win a $250 Visa gift card!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!
- Rivers Casino’s Baseball Fever Giveaway May 1, 2013Get Baseball Fever at Rivers Casino Sundays & Tuesdays in May! You could win great prizes and up to $25,000. Plus print out the WILD CARD that can help you win even more!