Mayor Rahm Emanuel said, by failing to pass expanded background checks for gun sales, Congress has let politics has get in the way of what should be elected officials’ first priority: protecting the public.
The head of the Illinois State Rifle Association says Illinois has already complied with one of the elements in President Obama’s package of gun control proposals, and his group supported it.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel escalated his assault on gun manufacturers on Thursday, accusing them of being more concerned with their bottom line than either public safety, or the 2nd Amendment right to bear arms.
The president announced he will press Congress to pass legislation requiring background checks on all gun purchases; reinstate the ban on military-style assault weapons; renew a 10-round limit on the size of ammunition magazines; and prohibit the possession, transfer, manufacture, or import of armor-piercing bullets.
Illinois lawmakers are pushing for criminal background checks for online daters.
- Teen Hurt In Little Village ShootingA 14-year-old boy was shot in the arm Saturday afternoon in the Southwest Side Little Village neighborhood.86
- Man Charged With Videotaping Women In Hospital WashroomA poorly secured cell phone in a west suburban hospital washroom that a man had allegedly set up to secretly videotape women in the toilet area was discovered by a woman when the phone fell to the washroom floor on Friday. She alerted police, who then arrested and charged a 49-year-old Franklin Park man with unlawful videotaping.156
- Young Man Shot Outside Old Orchard Shopping CenterA young man was wounded in a shooting in north suburban Skokie Friday night, outside the Old Orchard Shopping Center.227
- 3 Dead, 8 Shot In Citywide ViolenceThree men were killed and at least eight other people were wounded in violence around the city since Friday night.167
- Orange Line Service Resumes After Train-Pedestrian IncidentCTA commuters were temporarily stymied on the Orange Line during the Friday rush hour after a train fatally struck a man on the tracks.401
- Illinois Senate Passes Medical Marijuana LegislationIllinois Gov. Pat Quinn must decide if he will sign a measure allowing the use of marijuana for medical purposes after the state Senate approved legislation on Friday.1238
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- OREO Text-In Giveaway May 6, 2013The OREO King Size single serve packs are ideal for on the go snacking and sharing. To celebrate OREO King Size packs, text the keyword “OREO” to 67011 to enter for your chance to win a $250 Visa gift card!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!
- Rivers Casino’s Baseball Fever Giveaway May 1, 2013Get Baseball Fever at Rivers Casino Sundays & Tuesdays in May! You could win great prizes and up to $25,000. Plus print out the WILD CARD that can help you win even more!