Public health officials in Chicago were conducting an investigation, after a resident of a Gold Coast rehabilitation center died from Legionnaires’ Disease, a rare bacterial infection.
Ten Chicago area families let CBS 2 swab their one-cup coffee makers. CBS 2’s Mary Kay Kleist unveils the results.
A day after swimming was banned at most beaches on Lake Michigan in Chicago, due to high bacteria levels, the Chicago Park District has lifted swimming restrictions at all but two.
Sue, the Field Museum’s famous Tyrannosaurus Rex, isn’t exactly becoming the first dinosaur astronaut, but at least a few microscopic parts of her are going into orbit.
North suburban Deerfield has issued a boil order for residents because of a bacterial contamination was found in the water supply.
As CBS’s Pam Zekman learned, some of the violations can make your children sick.
Dangerous bacteria could be lurking in your shower head without you even knowing it. Cases of chronic non-tuberculous mycobacteria (NTM) infection have increased steadily in recent years, and unfortunately there’s not much we can do to avoid it.
The food contains meat, organs, bone, and in some cases vegetables and fruit, all ground together and sold frozen. Just thaw it out and serve it up.
The City of Evanston has closed all of its lakefront beaches for the day, after water tests showed dangerous levels of E. coli bacteria.
Chicago beaches open for the summer on Friday, and the Park District says this year, you can expect to see fewer days when swimming is forbidden.
The two infants contracted the bacterial infection Cronobacter sakazakii (C. sakazakii), which is associated with powdered infant feeding formulas, a release from the Illinois Department of Public Health said.
Because it’s raw, sushi can be one of the riskiest fish dishes to eat. But the CBS 2 Investigators found many sushi restaurants fail to follow the most basic requirement to keep sushi safe.
A new study conducted in Chicago and several other cities finds that gas pumps, mailboxes and escalator rails are among surfaces teeming with germs.
Think your kitchen is tidy and bacteria-free? Think again. CBS 2’s Dorothy Tucker reports.
A particularly virulent strain of bacteria has been infecting thousands of hospital patients, killing some of them. CBS 2’s Susan Carlson reports on what you can do to protect yourself.
The CBS 2 investigators have obtained inspection reports on the lunches that are served to your children and may alarm many parents.
A new study suggests there’s been an increase in the types and number of so-called antibiotic-resistant bacteria known as “superbugs” found in Chicago-area health care facilities.