Bank robbers apparently wanted to get their day’s work done before the snowstorm got in the way Tuesday morning.
Bank robbers had a busy year in 2012. The FBI said robbers have hit 218 banks in the Chicago area as of Dec. 31, compared to 115 in 2011.
The FBI says it is a pace that is expected to see the city pass 200 bank robberies by the time the year is out.
Authorities are now linking a Loop bank robbery Monday to the Stringer Bell Bandit — a man who allegedly robbed six other banks in seven attempts since October.
With four months still left, it’s already been a busy year for Chicago-area bank robbers.
According to the FBI, the number of bank robberies in the Chicago area could be on track to surpass last year’s number.
Bank branches in the Loop and the near northwest suburb of Norridge were robbed Friday, bring the total number of bank robberies in the Chicago area in 2012 to at least 48.
A $5,000 reward is being offered in hopes of finding two men — including one wearing a paintball mask — who robbed a northwest suburban bank last month.
Three bank robbers are on the loose, including a man who wore a paintball mask to rob a northwest suburban bank Friday afternoon and another wanted for sticking up a Logan Square bank an hour later.
Two branches of the same bank, about a mile and-a-half apart in the West Town area, were robbed, apparently by the same person, just minutes apart Friday morning.
FBI statistics show the number of bank robberies in Chicago and the suburbs has fallen significantly for the third year in a row.
A woman who is suspected of committing three bank robberies in the west suburbs of Berwyn and Lyons has been taken into custody, according to the FBI.
- Deadly Oklahoma Tornado Serves As Reminder To Prepare For Disasters“Tornado sheltering basics involved three steps – get in, get down and cover-up. The overall goal is to avoid flying and falling debris by putting as many barriers between you and the tornado as possible,” according to one expert at the National Weather Service in Norman, Oklahoma.117
- Lightning Strikes Damage Two Homes OvernightAt least two homes in the Chicago area were struck by lightning overnight as heavy thunderstorms plowed through the region.196
- Police Seek Help Identifying Female Homicide VictimPolice are asking for help to identify the body of woman or teen girl found strangled and badly burned in a Northwest Side Avondale neighborhood Dumpster Sunday night.137
- Chicago Red Cross Joining Tornado Relief Effort In OklahomaThe American Red Cross of Greater Chicago has begun mobilizing to help with the relief effort in Oklahoma, after a devastating tornado killed dozens of people.337
- Should Indoor Sprinklers Be Mandatory For New Homes?Safety advocates say new construction should include indoor sprinklers to make homes more fireproof. CBS 2's Chris Martinez looks at both sides of the debate.149
- Cop Shoots Trucker In Parking Lot Of Merrillville, Ind. Planned ParenthoodA police-involved shooting occurred in the parking lot of a Planned Parenthood office in Merrillville, Ind. Monday afternoon.254
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!