Less water reveals garbage that had been hidden in Lake Michigan and the other Great Lakes, according to the Alliance for the Great Lakes.
No worries if you find that your apartment barely has enough breathing for you and Fido. Chicago and its surrounding suburbs have plenty of “dog friendly areas” where you two can go outdoors and take in the fresh air and get some exercise.
There is a reason why Chicago is labeled as the Third Coast. With Lake Michigan at our fingertips, Chicago boasts lots of beaches up and down her shores. One of the more popular and active beaches is North Avenue. Spend a weekend there and take in what it has to offer.
An increase in bacteria levels in Lake Michigan has resulted in some warnings for swimmers.
The City of Evanston has closed all of its lakefront beaches for the day, after water tests showed dangerous levels of E. coli bacteria.
Chicago in the summer is all about being outdoors, near the lake and taking advantage of the fleeting warm weather. Castaways Bar and Grill is an iconic summer staple. The huge ship that sits at North Avenue beach is like a beacon to beach goers everywhere. Aside from its prime location for soaking up sun and refueling after a long day at the beach, here are a few things to know.
Record high temperatures in Chicago on Monday made it another perfect day to be at any of Chicago’s beaches.
Drowning is the leading accidental cause of death for children up to four years of age. For children 14 and under, it’s the second leading cause of accidental death.
Volunteers picked up trash at the North Avenue Beach Wednesday, to publicize “outdoor ethics” ahead of the official opening of the Chicago beaches on Friday.
Chicago beaches open for the summer on Friday, and the Park District says this year, you can expect to see fewer days when swimming is forbidden.
With a summer heat wave upon us, beaches are already packed and the popular Air & Water Show is just around the corner. So why aren’t police officers going to be patrolling the lakefront on ATVs?
With sweltering temperatures continuing on Tuesday, Chicagoans might want to hit the beaches to take a dip in the lake, but swim bans were in effect at all the but one of city’s beaches Tuesday afternoon due to heavy fog.
An annual water quality report from the National Resources Defense Council found that Great Lakes beaches were the most frequently closed beaches in the nation because of contaminated water.
Chicago police closed North Avenue Beach Monday afternoon after five people were treated for heat exhaustion.
- Teen Hurt In Little Village ShootingA 14-year-old boy was shot in the arm Saturday afternoon in the Southwest Side Little Village neighborhood.86
- Man Charged With Videotaping Women In Hospital WashroomA poorly secured cell phone in a west suburban hospital washroom that a man had allegedly set up to secretly videotape women in the toilet area was discovered by a woman when the phone fell to the washroom floor on Friday. She alerted police, who then arrested and charged a 49-year-old Franklin Park man with unlawful videotaping.156
- Young Man Shot Outside Old Orchard Shopping CenterA young man was wounded in a shooting in north suburban Skokie Friday night, outside the Old Orchard Shopping Center.227
- 3 Dead, 8 Shot In Citywide ViolenceThree men were killed and at least eight other people were wounded in violence around the city since Friday night.167
- Orange Line Service Resumes After Train-Pedestrian IncidentCTA commuters were temporarily stymied on the Orange Line during the Friday rush hour after a train fatally struck a man on the tracks.401
- Illinois Senate Passes Medical Marijuana LegislationIllinois Gov. Pat Quinn must decide if he will sign a measure allowing the use of marijuana for medical purposes after the state Senate approved legislation on Friday.1238
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- OREO Text-In Giveaway May 6, 2013The OREO King Size single serve packs are ideal for on the go snacking and sharing. To celebrate OREO King Size packs, text the keyword “OREO” to 67011 to enter for your chance to win a $250 Visa gift card!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!
- Rivers Casino’s Baseball Fever Giveaway May 1, 2013Get Baseball Fever at Rivers Casino Sundays & Tuesdays in May! You could win great prizes and up to $25,000. Plus print out the WILD CARD that can help you win even more!