If you can get past the TVs and packed sports nights, Hop Haus makes a mean burger. In fact, they make many mean burgers with their cadre of meats and toppings. BUT, how do these burgers measure up to all the other burger bars in the city? Let’s find out…
With Father’s Day gift-buying guides lurking around seemingly every corner of the Interwebs, I thought adding another one to the mix might be a little like randomly throwing another kid into the Duggar clan; probably no one would take notice…
It’s rare parents go anywhere without their smart phones anymore; these hand-held mini computers are used for so much more than just making phone calls and receiving texts, so it’s no wonder that so many applications have been developed specifically for families and little ones. Here’s a list of some wonderful apps for families.
So you’ve got a friend, or a loved one, or a dining companion of any kind that has a thing for eatin’ animals. And you, you enlightened political activist or health-conscious lovely creature, you probably want to avoid watching said companion consume parts of an animal while you converse or cavort. But man… it’s a bummer trying to inflict vegetarian dining on someone. So why not just do it covertly? We’ve picked out five places that shouldn’t set off major meatless alarms…
The last two weekends in April promise to be green in the Chicagoland in so many ways with trees budding and unfurling their leaves and both Earth Day and Arbor Day celebrations in full swing around the city and suburbs. Mark your calendars for Earth Day Sunday, April 22, and Arbor Day Friday, April 27, and take a peak below to plan out how to celebrate our great Earth with the kiddos while teaching them ways to be good stewards of our precious resources.
Whether you have just moved to a new place or you’re looking to redesign a room in your home, Chicago has a few furniture stores for different tastes or to achieve that certain look. From great deals to expensive artifacts, there’s a little something for everyone.
The competition for the five best vegetarian sandwiches in Chicago is stiff. First, you have to determine what will be constituted a sandwich, but that’s a whole different story. Generally, I accept a sandwich as being 2 slices of bread (or a bun, or something resembling the aforementioned versions of the almighty carbohydrate) and fillin’ or fixins therein between. Following that very weak guideline, here’s a list of the 5 best vegetarian sandwiches Chicago has to offer.
If you’re planning a North side baseball outing with modern amenities in mind, or with a group to accommodate, the Wrigley rooftops are an ideal alternative. The rooftop experience is something like watching a game in a nice bar with an actual view of the game, cleaner restrooms, and (usually) shorter food/beer lines. Gather some friends and pick a date, or start nudging the boss to get the summer office party plans rolling. Anyway, there are 16 rooftops to choose from, so here’s the breakdown.
Be one of the two million guests this year that visits the Shedd Aquarium, a national historic landmark. The aquarium, situated on the beautiful Lake Michigan lakefront, houses more than 32,500 animals. Spend a day learning about all sorts of animals that live in locations ranging from the Pacific Northwest to a Philippine coral reef.
Stores like Hazel can be dangerous. The eclectic boutique in Ravenswood has side-by-side locations, one for unique, lust-worthy gifts and one for unique (and equally lust-worthy) men’s and women’s apparel. Both are smartly curated and expertly staffed, making Hazel an irresistible vortex of goods where shoppers can’t escape without wanting to snap up everything in sight.
When one of the arguably greatest chefs in the world opens a cocktail joint, expectations are inevitably high. Grant Achatz, the former French Laundry study and mastermind behind Alinea and Next, brings his imaginative take on food and drink to his cocktail bar, the Aviary.
March is National Women’s History Month. In honor of this most amazing month, dedicated to the best gender around (OK, I may be bias), here’s what’s going on around town.
There are a lot of factors that take a dive bar from the shallow, dirty gutters of “bad” and somehow, miraculously make it “good.” Hidden Cove, with it’s karaoke, is a great dive bar, encompassing everything good and nice about dive bars…
Tom Schleiter knows a thing or two about Chicago’s music scene. The 25-year-old, who lives in Logan Square, is a professional songwriter and music producer. He got his foot in the industry while at Miami University studying sound recording. Bad City was his second band, which signed with Atlantic Records, made a record with Chicago producer Johnny K, and toured with Smashing Pumpkins, Slash, and KISS…
Warmth is in the air. Though Spring is always a hit or miss season with 60 degrees one day and snow the next, spring vacation offers a guaranteed week of sunshine. Just like the first day of school, spring vacation outfits are planned weeks in advance. From new suits to sandals, here are a few trends to get you started this vacation season. Each piece featured below is priced under $50. Happy sunning!
Wine bars have evolved quite a bit in recent years, and now appear in a lot more varieties than they used to. You don’t have to be a glasses-and-turtleneck Wine Spectator subscriber to appreciate them, either, as the food (and, yes, beer) at many local establishments has broadened the wine bar appeal…
Some of the best shops in the city involve creative owners trying to make an extra buck through two businesses at once. And while there’s plenty of these that you’d expect (gift shops or restaurants attached to hotels and museums), we decided to highlight some of the quirky and downright inspiring examples of Chicago’s multitasking business owners.
The Adler Planetarium, the first ever planetarium built in the U.S., has been wowing visitors with its unique take on space science education since 1930. Located on Chicago’s Northerly Island, it’s part of the Museum Campus together with the Shedd Aquarium and the Field Museum of Natural History. From the Big Bang to the stars over Chicago, the Adler will take you on a trip beyond our galaxy without having to don a cumbersome space suit…
Family is coming for Thanksgiving and you have no idea how to cook a turkey? Have no fear! Take home turkey dinners were made exactly for this occasion; to make you look really good and your kitchen even better.
It’s easy to forget that Italian Beefs are a Chicago thing – that they don’t really have them anywhere else in the US. Therefore, never, ever take them for granted. Ever…
- Body Found In Lake Is Missing U Of C StudentAuthorities have confirmed the body found in Lake Michigan early Wednesday belonged to a University of Chicago student who has been missing for a week.667
- Lewis Points Finger At ‘Rich White People’ For School ProblemsA day before the first set of school closings was set to begin, Chicago Teachers Union President Karen Lewis had some harsh words about how the Chicago Public Schools are funded and managed, blaming much of the district’s problems on racism.5989
- Man Shot To Death In South Suburban HomewoodNineteen-year-old Homewood resident Henry Kormoi died from at least one gunshot wound he suffered near home in the 1100 block of 187th Street.112
- State Discontinues Healthcare Funding For Disabled Stroke VictimUnconscionable. That's what a doctor calls a state decision to cut care funding for a patient.311
- Teen Says He Got E. Coli From Burrito At Lombard RestaurantA local teen says he got sick because of a burrito he ate from a local restaurant that's now the focus of an e coli outbreak.158
- Natura Pet Issues New Dog And Cat Food RecallNebraska-based Natura Pet Products has announced a new voluntary recall of multiple brands of dry pet food and treats. The decision comes after a positive test for Salmonella on April 3.7491
- Win $1,000 In Gas From Hyundai! June 17, 2013Enter to win $1,000 in free gas from Hyundai! What’s better than free gas? How about the 2013 Elantra Limited with an EPA-Estimated 38 MPG Highway! 28 City/38 Hwy. EPA Estimates. For comparison only. Actual mileage may vary.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!